Post your Suzuki's

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cat0020 cat0020 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cat0020
    cat0020
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Have had a few SV’s in my garage over the years, probably my favorite v-twins for the value.

My first SV was ignored, sat in previous owner’s driveway for months.
    I cleaned it up, ran it for few months and then sold it for a profit:

then bought a 2009 Gladius as a trade-in with a Bandit 1200 that I worked on:

then sold the Gladius before buying my second SV:

My second SV650S found on Craigslist, previous owner wanted a Harley.. idk.

Had a FI version SV1000 for little over 4k mi., never really liked the handling, FI was not as smooth as the Gladius. sold it without regret.

Then went back the carbed SV650s, his and hers riding with my wife:

For carrying a passenger, you can’t beat the Suzuki Burgman 650:

Even put a car tire on the rear wheel to try it out… 1/2 the cost of scooter tire, 3 times the longevity.. smoother cruising.. just the cornering takes a little getting used to, since it’s a snow tire, it provides nice grip:

My other Suzuki was a Katana sidecar rig:

Rides as a single, too:

Brakes, who needs them, they only slow you down.
    --Snuffy Smith--

Chances favor the prepared

Profile photo of bobby
    bobby
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Profile photo of cat0020
    cat0020
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Few weeks ago I picked up this 99 Katana 750, it had been sitting on its center stand since 2005 until recently, 7900 mi. on odometer.

PO’s son cleaned out the tank and ran it around the block, low sides it in the first corner on the right side.

Engine idles like a bag of rocks rattling around..

took off the sparkplugs and 2 out of 4 were fouled up, those 2 cylinders the valves were out, too. New spark plugs, adjusted the valves, new valve & plug gaskets. Cam chain doesn’t seem to make noise after valves are done.

Float valves on the two cylinders were gummed up, Seafoam did great job loosening them up, when I took apart the carbs they were easy to clean.

With valves done, carbs cleaned, sync’ed the throttle, I started to change the oil; drained out little more than 6 qt. from the drain plug, PO must had filled the oil with bike sitting on the sidestand until full mark of the sight glass. The old oil was still coffee color, I put in fresh Mobil 1, new oil filter, filled to proper level.
    Flush the brake fluids, front and back, check brake pads, tire pressure.. it rides like a brand new bike now.

--Snuffy Smith--

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

hope you got it for a deal. A little work and you’re golden. Nice!

Profile photo of cat0020
    cat0020
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

PO asked for $1200, I paid less than asking price, put about 6-8 hours work into it.. mostly just cleaning out the carbs.
    Working on a stock like like this is straight forward, makes me appreciate the PO keeping it unmolested.
    Sometimes I wish some of the newer bikes are as easy to work on, but with all the specific diagnostic tools and computers required like cars. Good thing these old GSXR engines are rock solid and plenty of parts/upgrades available.
    Maybe I will keep this one around for bit.. make my commute between Philly & NYC little more entertaining and keep the Ninja 250 in NYC jaunts..

--Snuffy Smith--

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.