Post your XX

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of cat0020 cat0020 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of cat0020
    cat0020
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Here are pictures of my 1998 Blackbird.. I call it “Dos Equis”, just like the beer.

Brakes, who needs them, they only slow you down.
    --Snuffy Smith--

Chances favor the prepared

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Very nice! In great shape. Gotta love those classics!

Profile photo of hubbard2a
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I was offered the chance to buy a blackbird…. I wanted it and really gave it some serious thought. The money wasnt right, both the price and what I had to spend. I was forced to pro and con it to death…….. in the end, as great as it was! I couldnt Jistify the money for a bike that was heavier bike with slightly less power than m 929. The weight and power dosent tell the whole story. Longer, heavier, softer sport tourer. I was really kinda hoping to find a way of working the deal out…… but it didnt happen… I know it was my loss.

Profile photo of cat0020
    cat0020
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

If you ride 6 hours on each machine, you’d realize the need for an XX.

XX is a long distance tourer, I managed my travels from PA to Key West, FL in less than 28 hours, PA to Chicago, IL in less than 11 hours, with ease and minimal discomfort.
    When you need to get to places far away in a hurry.. XX will get you there… fast.
    XX is confidence inspiring and allow the rider to relax at triple digit speed and not have to worry about every little mistake that might send you kissing the pavement.

Personally, I don’t see the need for a full-on sport bike that has the power output of liter-class machines, 250cc is plenty sufficient for public roads, 600cc at the most for track purpose… anything more is just compensating for other factors.

I happened to purchase my XX from my high school buddy, we rode dirt bikes together and the XX was his first street motorcycle, he had nearly lost his license on the XX; sold it to me at a price I couldn’t refuse with the old reg/rec problem that was an easy fix.
    Over the years, I’ve taken some memorable trips with it, but I do ride it less and less, no hurry to get to places anymore.

--Snuffy Smith--

hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Being married with 2 kids has really cut back on my travels, but I have to tell you……..its been rare to spend more than 6 hours on my bike. So I dont need te long leged comfort. And as far as a 600 being enough…. you must not know the theories and teachings of a caroll Shellby. “If a lot of displacement is good… Then too much displacement is just right!

Profile photo of cat0020
    cat0020
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@hubbard2a said:
    Being married with 2 kids has really cut back on my travels, but I have to tell you……..its been rare to spend more than 6 hours on my bike. So I dont need te long leged comfort.

“NEED’ is the key word, no one really ‘need’ 100 hp for a vehicle that get you from point A to point B, but wouldn’t it be nicer to have the HP and comfort?

@hubbard2a said:And as far as a 600 being enough…. you must not know the theories and teachings of a caroll Shellby. “If a lot of displacement is good… Then too much displacement is just right!

I would agree with you for any 4-wheeled vehicle… but on 2-wheel, riding skills are more important to power output for survival of operator.

--Snuffy Smith--

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Nice XX. awesome condition. I love them Birds>

hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@cat0020 said:
    “NEED’ is the key word, no one really ‘need’ 100 hp for a vehicle that get you from point A to point B, but wouldn’t it be nicer to have the HP and comfort?

I would agree with you for any 4-wheeled vehicle… but on 2-wheel, riding skills are more important to power output for survival of operator.

Well with bar risers and an after market saddle, I would tend to argue that I do have the best of both worlds…….

And the larger displacment gives me the ability to push into corners a lot easier than a smaller bike and not be afraid of lossing and ground. Not that I am a great rider, and I am very sure there are a few on 600cc bikes that could shame me off the track… That said, I have never found a 600 that I couldnt trail into a corner and then pull cleanly away from on the exit…… the mid range punch can actualy allow you to ride a litte more reserved than a smaller bike an still turn in the same lap times with more confidence. Do get me wrong, the XX is the bike I would choose for A 8-9 hundred mile trip…… its just that most of my rides are closer to 250-300 miles. IF i coul afford both bikes it would have been a no brainer…. I just couldnt.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Wow, very clean. I really like the exhaust.. makes the bike stand out. Nice ride. Welcome to RideCBR.

Profile photo of seahorsesylv
    seahorsesylv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I have always love the BIRD……..great looking bike! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Profile photo of cat0020
    cat0020
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Blackbird with another Honda Bird:

--Snuffy Smith--

Profile photo of cat0020
    cat0020
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Tentatively struck a Craigslist deal on a 2003 XX, 16k mi. completely stock, never been down, looks like it needs rear tire, maybe chain/sprockets; $27xx. Plan to it pickup nxt wknd.

--Snuffy Smith--

Profile photo of cat0020
    cat0020
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Picked up my 03 XX, as advertised: almost stock (aftermarket chrome barend plugs, BMW grips), never been down, 137xx mi. Front tire needs replacement, rear tire may have a few rides left, chain kinda rusty, sprockets look decent.
    Me found good deal on XX again:

--Snuffy Smith--

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Very nice!!!

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Nice come up man!

Profile photo of cat0020
    cat0020
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Thanks guys.. Blackbird has some timeless lines, 13 y-o and still looks like a modern sport bike.
    I think I will change the tires first, maybe 520 conversion, but XX has got enough juice that I would do +1 or +2 front and -2/-3 rear, I don’t plan on doing wheelies on the XX, save weight and better fuel econ would be my goal.
    Fender elim/turn signals mods just attract LEO, which I try to avoid at all cost.
    This is a sleeper, unassuming, underestimated bike; I like the effect of surprise when people notice me leaving them behind and say: what was that? Leave people wondering..

--Snuffy Smith--

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.