Project: Pegasus

RideCBR.com Forums Member Build Threads Project: Pegasus

This topic contains 35 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of saturnv saturnv 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of foreigninvasion89
    foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Phase 1: I had to break into the gas tank of this rare find I now own. Tucked away in the back of one car garage is a 1989 CBR600F. It’s clean. However, the key would not rest past the shoulder, unlocking all the tumblers. something was obstructing access into the tank. So I drilled through. It took a few bits to get all the tumblers out of my way, I should have just gone big from the get go.

After a little more than 8 minutes, I had gained entry, cracked the safe, and found nothing but junk in the tank. Gas cap had something growing on the underside of it, around the locking mechanism, making entry completely impossible. Unless you drill the SHHHUT THE FRONT DOOR, out of it.

Then I broke out the flash light. wanted to see what kind of damage I had with this garage rotted gem. I know this is a bad thing, with my experience with building cars for a living/hobby, a rotted gas tank is never a good sign. RUST. Never fun. I know. Luckily, seems that the rust didn’t eat through the tank…still on the surface. that’s a good sign.
    Now i gotta fix my tank to provide fuel flow into the heart of this 600 and give it spark.
    DONE WITH THESE TOOLS.

I also wanted to see what was behind door number 2. Noticed something hanging from there. some kind of plastic ring. grabbed my ratchet and 8mm socket and removed the cover.

That plastic ring that was hanging out from behind the drive chain cover is now in small pieces. I am a newbie to the motorcycle world but understand the working of a machine. However, this i’ve never seen. Can anyone please tell me what broke and how crucial is it’s presence? Take a look…

thanks in advance riders.

post script: i have no idea why some of the images flipped. I know you’re tilting your heads. I can see you. ~DRE. haha. Also, would dealer parts be wise or would aftermarket be just as good?

Deuces.

Profile photo of lemarck234
    lemarck234
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Looks like you have quite the project on your hands. Looking forward to seeing her all come together. Revive the F series!!

JeanLemarck - Survival of the Squiddest

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Thanks @lemarck234, i can’t wait to hear her rev. hopefully I’ll get it all dialed in time for some summer ridding.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

It looks like something I would dive into. At that point though it’s just take everything apart and go from the ground up time. Cool project though!

Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@foreigninvasion89 – with most things, I like purchasing from a dealership. In doing so, more of a personal relationship is built. It is extremely useful when you can take a part into the shop/store, have them look at the part and order it for you. This takes the guessing game out of you deciding if it works or not and then what part you need. Sometimes those part numbers and years get tricky. It is with my experience at least that parts people will ask service people their opinions as well. Between the three of you, most of your questions can be answered confidently. You do this enough and purchase the parts from them, you may even get a discounted rate. I’ve purchased a set of tires, mounted/balanced/installed/OTD for cost and about a 45% discount for a slip-on exhaust; just to name a few of the bigger items.

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@94f2-08rr: i thought so too. being a wrench monkey by trade, I know the difference between buying O.E.M. and aftermarket. I just had a unwelcoming experience when i walked into the nearest Honda Motorcycle dealership, in my work uniform and proceeded to receive the stink eye and unwilling assistance. “let me get the desk manager for you.” then the desk manager would say, “that sounds like a service department question.” then i got a, “Joe, the shop manager is on lunch break till 2:30.” i was there at 11:45am. Who takes a three hour lunch? I just think they don’t like to deal with someone who knows how to use a tool or two. I’ll send in my sister and see how they treat her. she’s also a gear head.

Thanks, @admin: but do you know how many of those kinds of projects i have on my plate? haha i’d like to have one that doesn’t need a complete dismantling. but in all honesty, if i want to save this bike from corrosion, i have to take it apart and remedy all that rust. damn ocean breeze.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@foreigninvasion89 No idea how many you have.. but I love having things to tinker with in work down times. Unfortunately this isn’t one of those times.. working 85-90 hour weeks at the moment.. nutbar factor 10.

And I hear you on the ocean breeze.. i’m in RI.. rusted bikes and salty air (or roads in winter).

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@admin: damn…i thought i worked long hours, clocking in at 68 hours a week, do you ever sleep? and what slave shape do you row for? haha. i sometimes wonder why we work when in the end we all take a dirt nap. lol. between my work and projects…i don’t know what end is out. Total of 6 cars: 4 classic automobiles and 2 modern day whips that i’m working on. and now a CBR600F that has automatically made its way to item #1 to complete. haha. seniority don’t mean shit with my projects. hopefully i can get this bike running soon.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Right now working ridiculous hours but can’t stop anytime soon. Way too much to do. Literally may double my salary from last year.. so F it.. I follow the money. I had some free time here and there.. now just work 8am to 10pm lately.. “every day i’m hustlin'”

As for your projects.. I’d LOVE to have that problem!

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@admin: you’re welcomed to come and help me out with them all. I won’t mind. Cheers to you, Mr. 14 hours a day at work, man. we’re all hustling on this modern day slave planet. ROW! ROW! ROW! ha. just remember to breath in between each row.
    Hey, so I have a curious question: how does one determine the value of his/her bike (if it’s an oldie like mine?)
    i know how to gauge and price out my classic whips, anything out there for bikes?

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Phase 2: I could have spent an entire day watching a whole bunch of video/threads…reviews…DIY gluetube tutorials…i decided to wing it after reading a thread that made more sense than dumping a jar full of nuts and bolts into my tank and placing the tank in a dryer to rattle the rust off. (that method did work, however i thought it would be too aggressive on the exterior. possibly leaving dings all over the place) and my tank’s original paint is seriously clean…

So this thread said I’d need three things. Duct tape. 1/2 gallon of diesel, and BB’s. ya…BB’s. coincidently, I had a container of BB’s stashed somewhere.

So…after making sure the fuel pump line underneath was duct off, I did all three being a newbie not realizing till later what the other two outlets were. Then the container of BB’s dove into the tank, spartan 3,000 of them, then the diesel into tank (i eventually did this a few times, my tank was dirty…so i needed more diesel.) lastly, duct tape the gas cap….

and agitated the shit out of my shoulders..haha. it was hard. if anyone has ever worked on something overhead, like a car on a hoist..then ya know the kind of shoulder aches i’m talking about…

Ok, so I figured that this wasn’t going to be a quick process…so I let the first 1/2 gallon of diesel sit in the tank a few days. during those 2ish days the BB’s and diesel simmered, getting multiple shake sessions though out the day…the end result was gnarly. seriously. this method worked. this is just the cleaning part. I’m still going to do that three step Por15 that @saturnv mentioned, when i do my last diesel/BB’s session. Look at what came out:

round 1: poured the diesel/BB’s into an oil catch or drain container through the bottom and into a shop rag…I wanted to see what came out…

most BB’s didn’t come out with the pour. I left them in the tank for both sessions just added more into round two. after the second round, i used a magnet which i luckily had a round one, and a wire hanger to fish out the rest. It was time consuming but i got them all out.

round 2:

after this process i rinsed the tank out with water, again into a catch can. I do take spill control seriously. so much easier catching hazardous waste than having to clean the spill off the floor. Logically. haha.

so fast forward 4 days, the tank has been sitting under the sun, dried out, and the surface isn’t that bad. my camera can’t get the angle i need, but my eye can and it looks like i will be able to save this tank after all. Can’t wait to ride!!! The anticipation is killing me. haha I felt so bad for the bike that I spoiled it with a new set of NGK’s, i’m gonna try lighting up this bike tomorrow. I’ll let ya know if it works. haha.

Next phase: POR15….stay tuned.
    chuck’in up the deuces.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@foreigninvasion89 – I was laughing at how ridiculously clean the paint job on the tank was. You weren’t kidding. Then I was laughing at how much crap came out. Most importantly, I was glad to hear that you were taking the necessary precautions when dealing with the diesel fuel and contaminated water. Just hope you are disposing of them properly. I am big on being eco-friendly.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yes it does look nice and clean from the exterior but it’s surprising how they corrode from the inside… I always assumed (before my tank rusted on the Yamaha) that the fuel in the tank would stop it rusting lol. Unless you put a gas conditioner in there like Seafoam the water in the fuel manages to corrode the steel anyway – still can’t believe how this can happen without the presence of Oxygen!! must me the ‘O’ in H2O causing the oxidisation somehow (but it’s a long time since I did Chemistry at school :)
    Anyway the 3 tubes: main one is fuel out (as u know!) to tap then carbs via fuel filter / cleaner (don’t think you have a pump on your model…
    2nd is breather to allow air to enter the tank (otherwise you’d get a vacuum building up as the gas leaves the tank and that would stop the flow of liquid.
    3rd is an overflow (I think)
    Check that manual download just to confirm I’m not talking BS because it was nearly a year ago since I took my tank off to do the carbs…

Great job though, keep it up and keep posting !!!!

Profile photo of starlightrr
    starlightrr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

It’s always nice to see another F1 being saved…I love the F1 version :-)

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Who knew the F1’s ran on Chocolate pudding?

Kick ass F1 brother, I have a serious love for white wheels, they make my pants fit tight.
    Welcome to the site bud.

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@94f2-08rr: yeah bro…I’m serious about containment, and of course i dispose of hazardous material properly…I dump it all into that hole in the ground that says “drains to ocean.” ….lmao. I run a repair shop and I pay out the ass for hazardous waste to be picked up and refined or recycled. Man, besides the small amount of surface rust on the front of the frame, horn and radiator, and front forks,…this bike looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. That junk in my tank was stoopid yo…

@saturnv: that manual link you sent me comes in handy for sure. Yesterday I read on removing the front forks. I wanna reseal them and clean all that rust off them. I’ll tell you for sure, if I ever park the bike for an extended period of time…I’m running it till the gas runs out. I’m guessing that would be even better than adding Seafoam to it, right? and it’s sleeping inside…with the dog! haha.

@bambam: Just wait till I clean the dirt and grease off the white wheels. you might wanna get bigger pants. haha. thanks for welcome. Thank you all for welcoming me.

speaking of welcoming…Hello @starlightrr. All I do is save things that others destroy or let go of. I totally love your silhouetted, profile, picture.

on another topic…so today I was pushing my bike inside, started to rain a bit, and when i got to where I wanted the bike to rest, I COULD HAVE SWORN that I put the kickstand down. Luckily, I’m a pretty strong fella, caught the bike before it landed. Almost kissed the ground and I haven’t even ridden it. But I know I put that kickstand down. Anyone ever experience a bad kickstand? or is that just an epic fail on my end?

Deuces y’all.

Profile photo of starlightrr
    starlightrr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

@foreigninvadion89 Well I wish somebody would let me have a nice old F1 to restore/recommission for peanuts…please keep us updated with all your progress and lots of piccies too please 😀

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@foreigninvasion89 – right after high school, I attended college four hours from home. I brought my recycle when I came home for breaks/weekends. There were times where I had four or five large bags in my little Ranger; few in the cab and a few more in the bed. I am currently trying to find a place to take my worn out clothes. I’ve seen where cotton can somehow be recycled. Also have an old fiberglass boat that I’d like to recycle, but the options around here are slim to none.

When I purchased my bike, it had been lowered. The kickstand had not been replaced to compensate. I had a few close calls with mine falling away from me as I dismounted. I had to be careful where I parked; paid close attention to the slope of parking lots or the road alongside the curb. One night, I placed both feet on the ground, took a step away and for some reason, my hand was still on the grip. It started to fall away and I pushed down and grabbed the tank. It wasn’t long after that I was ordering the part to raise it up.

Keep up the work man. We are all very interested in what you do, how things go and turn out.

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@94f2-08rr: I highly doubt that my bike was lowered. Looks pretty stock to me. I still can’t explain it. Paranoid as a dope head about that kickstand now…lol. I got all OCD about it. Now I tap the stand with my steel toe boots just to make sure it’s in lock position and slightly rock the bike to make sure it has settled. I’m almost leaning towards user error. May have not kicked the stand down far enough before i let go. Hey, so which one do you prefer to ride, F2/RR? Is there a huge difference in performance?

@starlightrr: I wish someone would give me something like that too. I picked this bike up in trade for some labor. No peanuts involved. haha.

Just to keep you all posted: I’ve been slammed with work, work. So, my bike build has been on the back burner for a minute. I did start the machine up on Wednesday for about 6 seconds or more. Got it all on video. I’ll upload that as soon as humanly possible. Pegasus sounds pretty good fellas, and ladies,…however, I’d to give the exhaust more of a roar… Any suggestions/brand/favorite? (sounds like a pretty kitten right now, would like it to sound a bit Tiger-ish.) lol.

Have a great weekend, y’all. And if you’re riding (good weather in California)…ride safe.
    DEUCES.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Dropping the bike off the stand is a classic error. Sure weve all been there so dont beat urself up about it lol. Just lucky u saved it from damage. I did similar a month or 2 ago when I thought I had put it on centrestand but not square and only 1 side was on ground and it fell away from me. Hit the garage wall and broke mirror…

Running the bike empty not such a good idea IMHO. May still be fuel in the carbs. Float chambers and the jets could still get blocked. Youd have to drain the carbs too so u may as well just leave gas in tank, add Seafoam then run engine for few mins to ensure that it reaches the carbs and all jets…

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@saturnv: I did hold a grudge with myself for a few weeks…but i’m over it now. yea, now i’m totally OCD now. every time i kick down the stand, I double, triple, quadruple check the damn stand. haha. then i shake it around a bit and then let go. And truth be told, as soon as i get Pegasus running…i don’t see it stopping for that kind of crazy time. I’ve also been window shopping other bikes…holy crap…I found a bike made in Austria called KTM RC8, what a sexy beast, and the Daytona 675R: damn. all I wanna do is spend, spend, spend. I need therapy. haha. I also need a reputable online parts supplier for CBR’s, know of any?

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yes I do. Most of the ones I use are over here in the UK but there is one called Partzilla which is US based and really good – check out their website. What I like about them is that they have illustrated parts listings for pretty much every bike and major section of a bike, for example: engine, carbs, handlebars, etc.

So although I don’t usually order parts from them due to shipping and customs charges from America to England I often use the diagrams to find out the Honda part numbers then Google those on UK sites lol.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Hey @foreigninvasion89, try this link:

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/search/Honda/Motorcycle/1989/CBR600F%20A/parts.html

I’ve put your bike in as a 1989 CBR600F model but you can change the search criteria to find parts for any bike. As said yesterday, what’s good about this site is that you can use it just to get parts breakdown diagrams and genuine Honda part numbers if you want to get the parts cheaper elsewhere :)

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

good looking out @saturnv. it’s time i start buying replacement parts. Gotta get riding before the summer arrives.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

No worries @foreigninvasion89 :)

Our early ‘version’ of Summer is already here in Merry Olde England lol. Imagine Florida but instead of ‘4 seasons in one day’ we get 4 seasons every week – Sunday: warm & sunny, Monday thru Wednesday ‘April showers’; today warm, sunny & windy’!! I do ride in the rain occasionally (yesterday for example) but try to avoid it cos it ain’t much fun although I believe that everyone needs to get used to wet conditions and learn how to deal with the traction and braking limitations from a safety aspect…

Going to collect my new (2009) CBF1000 today – can’t wait!!!

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@saturnv Sounds like California weather… bipolar lately? sheesh. It’s a crazy climate experience. Warm and sunny one day, cloudy and windy the next. Rain on Saturday and Sunday, but Sunday early evening the sun comes out only to set past the horizon. Someone’s effin with us.
    So how many bikes does everyone have? Because I haven’t even ridden my bike yet and I want another one. lmao.
    The only thing i’d hate is getting soaked while ridding. nothing fun about soggy shorts. haha.

let me know if you post a pic of your new bike.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@foreigninvasion89, @nueyf4i, @starlightrr,

Posted pics of my new bike on my wall – let me know if you cannot see them please…

Don’t think Honda released this model in the States but you probably have the CB1000R instead?

Early days yet but she seems ok so far – full service history with Honda book stamped and mileage / ownership verified with DVLA & MOT records (government vehicle checks that give proof of mileage).

I was disappointed that NO centre-stand as a lot of these bikes do have them but has the bracket on the chassis so I can fit one myself I guess.

Other mods I will do will be to REMOVE the after-market lower fairings and leave the top half fairing as nature intended lol. The engine is pretty enough to behold and those lower additions seem to be channelling a LOT of heat backward and up towards my legs which had unpleasant scorching feeling (even thru my leathers) OUCH!! and the cooling fan seemed to be on a lot of the time (it was a warm day yesterday though). I suspect that even with the vents, those panels are detrimental to the correct airflow across the engine…

May also add a taller screen and panniers as I intend to go touring on this beast :)

Already has heated grips and a cigarette lighter type 12V socket but may also add standard USB socket as not difficult.

foreigninvasion89
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@saturnv: clean bike, pal. yeah…i see it. So is this considered a touring bike? What’s the difference between CBR and CBF? So, it’s completely normal to have multiple bikes. Cool. I got my eyes on another bike too. Don’t know if I should mention them on a CBR forum, don’t kick me out @admin, the KTM RC8 looks beast. Don’t know much about this Austrian bike…but if looks could kill, this would do it. Heated grips and a cigarette lighter?? no joke? ahaha convenience, right? Your bike looks good though. I’m off to a VW classics car show, parts shopping…

Deuces y’all.
    Ride safe.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Not sure if it’s really a full tourer – doesn’t have a full fairing but can be adapted for luggage and has enough power and torque to carry a pillion passenger and cover large distances with comfort and ease so must tick a few of the boxes…

Well no it’s hardly normal to have multiple bikes or vehicles for that matter but who said I was normal or bikers were conventional motorists lol. Anyway what’s the definition of normal??! Personally I’d rather spend whatever spare cash I have on my hobbies than on psychoanalysts :)

No problem mentioning other bike makes in my opinion – you’ve got an F1 so you’ve passed the entrance test for this club ;-). KTM are well thought of in biking circles as far as I can tell. Go for it!!!

For the record, the cigarette lighter socket is purely for 12V accessories as far as I’m concerned; I don’t smoke.

Interested in your VW classic car thing; I used to own a VW Golf MK2 16V GTi and would love to buy a Corrado VR6…

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@foreigninvasion89 – It’s hard to say which I prefer riding. I ride the RR more because it is newer and more reliable. I had a few problems in the past with the F2 that made the following rides a little less enjoyable for fear of breaking down. The F2 is hands down more comfortable than the RR. With there being 14 years between the two, the performance leans towards the RR. Fuel injected and lighter in weight.

With the talk of weather, thought I would share that it was snowing this morning a few hours away in northern Indiana. We had a frost advisory for this morning and it was mid 50s to 60 this afternoon. We also have another frost advisory for tonight; Monday 1a.m. – 8a.m.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.