Quite air compressor

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse Quite air compressor

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of smalls1000 smalls1000 2 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of smalls1000
    smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I’m looking for an air compressor, but a somewhat quite one. Because I live in an apartment complex I don’t want one that would be stupid loud that would disturb the people around me. I’ve been looking at some Craftsman ones but reading reviews that their stupid loud. Any suggestions, personal reviews?

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Oilless electric compressors are loud. The units that have the belt driven air pump are much better with noise.

If you want it to run really quiet, bios an insulated box around it with an access door to turn it on and drain it.

Make sure to get one with enough cfm at the 90 psi level to do what you want to with it. Air tools require quite a bit (specs on the tool) to drive them and a big enough tank to supply, or they will struggle to get even a lug nut off The bigger the tank, the less it runs and can keep the flow up for longer.

Get the biggest you can that runs on 110v, unless you want to triple the price and plan on converting the power supply.

You are welcome to come listen to the 30 gal 2 stage compressor I have and see if its quiet enough.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru
    Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@admin said:
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/California-Air-Tools-6-3-gal-1-HP-Ultra-Quiet-and-Oil-Free-Steel-Tank-Air-Compressor-6310/202977399

Might be a good option.. 60 decibels.

Good compressor if your only going to fill tires and basketballs. It will work with things like air staplers, small brad nailers, and air brush guns. It will not work with an impact gun or other mechanical air tools.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Ahh.. see.. I don’t know shit, yet I try and be helpful.. lmfao. :bashing:

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@74demon said:
    Oilless electric compressors are loud. The units that have the belt driven air pump are much better with noise.

If you want it to run really quiet, bios an insulated box around it with an access door to turn it on and drain it.

Make sure to get one with enough cfm at the 155 psi level to do what you want to with it. Air tools require quite a bit (specs on the tool) to drive them and a big enough tank to supply, or they will struggle to get even a lug nut off The bigger the tank, the less it runs and can keep the flow up for longer.

Get the biggest you can that runs on 110v, unless you want to triple the price and plan on converting the power supply.

You are welcome to come listen to the 30 gal 2 stage compressor I have and see if its quiet enough.

I was looking at a 150 PSI 20 gallon tank air compressor from Craftsman but it was an oilless one. I’ll have to do some research on the CFM deal I didn’t really look into that. I do want to be able to run an impact gun at most at least. What compressor do you have @74demon?

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@admin said:
    Ahh.. see.. I don’t know shit, yet I try and be helpful.. lmfao. :bashing:

Hey its the effort, in trying to help you will learn more then what you knew.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I have a kobalt (made by someone else and packaged for Lowe’s) 30 gal cast iron upright with 1.6 hp. Puts out 5.3 cfm at 90psi with 155 psi max. Its an older model, with the replacement one having a 2hp motor.

I used to have that 20 gal oilless craftsman. Had it for years. It was very loud and struggled with impact guns on lugs. I always had to loosen by hand and snug them up by after.

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Well going off your info I started to look at the Craftsman Professional line. Its a 27 gallon, oil lubricated, belt driven compressor, Craftsman claims its only 73 decibels.
    http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-27-gallon-super-quiet-vertical-portable/p-00916474000P?prdNo=13&blockNo=13&blockType=G13

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

That one looks pretty good. Its got enough flow for air tools.

Are you thinking vertical or horizontal? The small horizontal units fit well under a bench, but one with that large of a tank may not store well. The vertical units stand alone in a corner. Just be sure to chock the wheels as they tend to walk around a little.

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I think I’m going to go with a vertical one, I have a spot perfect for it. My big thing is keeping floor space. Being that I’m in a deep one car garage. And my workbench doesn’t have the space to stick a compressor under it. Thanks for the info btw I don’t really know much about compressors or what to look for @74demon.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Did you get that compressor yet? @smalls1000

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

No I have to save up a bit for it @74demon

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.