Re-ReVitalization

RideCBR.com Forums Member Build Threads Re-ReVitalization

This topic contains 36 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of kerosene kerosene 3 years ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of kerosene
    kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

So because of the forum restore I’m retying this… I think I’ll forget something or other, so here we go.

As some of you may know I have a F3 with F4i plastics, it has been a long trip to get to where I wanted to be (and at times I regret it, especially now.)

I bought my 1998 Honda CBR600F3 back in 03/2010, the state of the bike was BAD, I bought the bike from a former colleague that quit riding and parked the bike and for whatever reason took it apart. When I picked it up, plastics were ripped off, new battery was needed, all fluids changed, carbs and gas-tank cleaned, new plugs, new rubber (the old rubber was cracked and hard) and misc TLC. I bought the bike for 2,500 USD with 6,000 on the ODO (the bike was garaged for over 4 years.) Once everything was done, I rode the bike for a year but there were things I was not satisfied with, fairings were scratched up and there was no clock on the speedo (a minor detail that irritated me) so I started to take care of that, made the bike all pretty… plastics cleaned up, and a fresh coat of paint. I was satisfied!

I was satisfied, until the next day… when I heard a *boom* and *crack* and I said to myself… with my luck, that was my bike. I went outside and indeed my bike fell, rear plastics cracked and mount points cracked so I was a bit… disappointed (lightly put.) So to the scrap yard the plastic went and a new project was born, F3 to F4i.

http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/fluxionit/slideshow/F3%20to%20F4i%20Fairing%20project

With the help of forum members, and Darrin (@bambam) I was able to complete the project. The mounting brackets and project ideas were planned out with many many discussions with him and with the parts then made out of steel with precision cuts… it turned out very similar to my ideas and hopes… with his help I was also able to weld everything up.

So 11/11/11 I left the states for a new life and my F3 stayed in the states BUT in 09/2014 we had a reunion and I was bummed, what a POS bike :( I was a loss for words at the state of the bike (No pics.) I cleaned everything up, took the carbs out for a cleaning (I arranged a carb wash in a ultrasonic bath for next week), cleaned up all the rusted parts and painted them with frame paint (resistant to bumps, scratches, etc) took the headers off to derust and paint with high temp resistant paint (sadly a bolt snapped off :{ will need to sort that out one day), and some misc things. Wont be until next year when I will get to ride the bike, I live 300km away from her so don’t have a chance to work on anything and I’ll slowly start to collect money to register it (total cost 800 PLN) and replace the parts I need to.

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Leaving for future:
    Lights – Make street legal (stoopid polish laws)
    Center stand

Ideas:

Things to do:
    Brake Pads
    Brake Discs (bent?)
    New Battery
    Mount for tail light
    Turn Signals (pedals and mounted)
    Fix Fairings (some were broken during move)

Profile photo of jnsracing
    jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Some good work so far! How does it look at the moment?

(((http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/my-f2-builds/))) (((https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72)))

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Like it fell out of a plane :( no plastics, wires loose, no gas tank… basically 2 wheels, frame, engine and front end…

Profile photo of jnsracing
    jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@Kerosene said:
    Like it fell out of a plane :( no plastics, wires loose, no gas tank… basically 2 wheels, frame, engine and front end…

Sadness!! Well, get crackin’, and post up all your work! :mrgreen:

(((http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/my-f2-builds/))) (((https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72)))

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Looks good. Did you fab the sub frame?

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I found the pics of the fab work i did to help Alan out on this bike. His plan to use F4i fairings on an F3 seemed like a trick little conversion. Figured these pics would help out with his build thread here.

I cut the stay “V” plates out on a plazma table , and hand fabbed the rest.

Heres the basic kit including relocation tabs to move the fairing mounts where needed, new seat bar with weld in studs, rear body mount crossbar and extra plates for anything that could pop up.

Basic kit-

Crossbar/fairing stay for rear with threaded ends-

New seat mount with welded in studs-

Basic moc up of the rear fairing mount-

Due to the fact that this set up was to be steel in order for Alan to weld with his equipment , i had to fabricate a new seat latch out of steel so he could locate it and weld it up after he tacked the main stay into place-

The seat latch was fun to make , and i think it turned out trick. I dont remeber seeing pics of this bike finished but the idea was trick and thinking out of the box to make something work was paramount. It was a killer project that would make a CBR fan take a double look , is that an F3 or an F4i? the answer would be yes.

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@Juliet – Juliet, I know you’ve sent me an image before, but would you be able to send me a photo of how the throttle cables are set up on the clip on?

<cite>@dubv said:</cite>
    Looks good. Did you fab the sub frame?

The Subframe is still the original one, just modified… I grinded off the cross braces that held the 2 sides together, then bent the pipes up and welded the parts from Darrin that holds everything together.

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@BamBam – Thanks for the pics, the bike was never 100% complete. When I was almost done, I got a job and ended up not having enough time to finish it :( then left the states, but now that the bike is in PL with me… the project will be finished.

Heck, I still have some of the spare parts you sent me.

2 weeks ago I showed my father in law the work you did on those pipes and seat mount and he was very impressed… still to this day I think it’s something beautiful and looks original… I painted it with the frame paint last week and now it looks like just another component of the bike that was designed by Honda.

I need to be honest, I have no idea where that seat latch is… I was thinking over the last few days how the seat locked and am 100% sure that I don’t have it mounted, and when looking through my treasure chest of parts and bobs I don’t recall seeing it… :( It’s gotta be somewhere, hopefully with me here in Poland, because I remember how much work you put into getting it fabbed up for me. The passenger seat seat pipe is a 1inch gas pipe welded on the mounts you made.

When looking at the mounts I was a little disappointed in myself that I had everything like I wanted at the time, but now I think what I did looks like rubbish. I didn’t finish it, and maybe that’s the problem… but the work itself could have been done better, maybe that’s just the age and experience now… and knowing I wont ride it yet and there’s no reason to rush.

I gotta tell you Darrin, those brackets, all of them were made fantastic. I am astonished that no rust has hit it yet, only the surface stuff but there’s not dug in rust.

The package I got from you was one of the nicest things I ever got, I still have the letter from your daughter… somewhere… one of the very few pieces of paper I saved from the states, I remember first reading it gave me a tear in my eye.

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Ok, so today I did some ‘work’ and getting down to settling the legality aspect of my bike… I need to get a duplicate of my Title and registration which sounds simple enough but when you’re out of the country nothing is simple. I will need to go to some govt building tomorrow to find out what else I’ll need and start the process from this end too… But at least there’s some light at the end of the tunnel. In order for me to start working on the bike and planning anything when it comes to spending money, I will first need to sort this nonsense out, I don’t want to put up 1000 PLN just to find out I’ll never be able to ride it anyway.

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Here you go Alan, I hope these help … :-)

Oh and you have to ‘@jules‘ not ‘@juliet‘ or I don’t get the notifications :-)

Jules

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace...

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Another couple…

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace...

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@Jules – That’s exactly it! Thank You, you’re a doll!

Do you happen to remember if all the Jets get screwed in completely (all except for the jet for sync) ? I read somewhere on one of the forums that one of the jets doesn’t get screwed in completely, I believe they mentioned the main jet… but that doesn’t sound right to me.

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’m a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world.
    Life in plastic, it’s fantastic! …lol

Hmmm… the only thing I can think of is you may be thinking of the pilot screw adjustement.

All the jets, both pilot and mains are screwed fully home, not too tight though, they are brass and the carb body is alloy so you just kinda nick them up firmly but not overly firmly ..lol you just kinda have to get a feel for all this…

Now the pilot screw adjustmnet is an initial setting on all four carbs by screwing them in all the way until they ‘just’ lightly seat on their rubber washer, not too tight so as to squash it, then back them out 2 full turns each. That’s the inital set up required … there is then a really fiddly procedure to tune them, I never bothered as my bike ran perfectly on the two turns out setting for all carbs.

I can post the full procedure here if you need it :-)

Jules

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@Jules – Do it! I know you had a how-to sync carbs a while back. That’s exactly what I did, I set the pilot screw 2 turns out.

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

The pilot screw setting is a different thing to carb balancing … I can’t find my carb balancing write up but will keep looking. In the meantime I will write down the pilot screw procedure :-)

Jules

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

If you can :) Thanks!

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Here you go Alan, this is straight out the workshop manual :-)

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I have slim hands and fingers and even I struggled so much with this, that in the end I left them just two turns out, balanced my carbs and forgot about it ..lol

The bike runs perfectly though :-)

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

The pilot screw is the one behind the float bowls, correct? All the jets inside the carb don’t have any special instructions, do they? I thought they were all “screw in till it stops”, and verified on IdoDrit’s instructions on CBRF, but for some reason I read on another forum (don’t recall which) that the main jet is supposed to be screwed out too, and that sounded like rubbish.

If I understand correctly… the instructions say to set the idle to 1200 then fiddle with the pilot screw to raise the rpm, then lower it again with the stop screw in the throttle cable followed by lowering the rpm again by adjusting the pilot screw…. yes?

BTW, what book do you have that has all these instructions?

Alan

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

The main jets screw in underneath the carb, inside the float bowls and like the pilot jets are screwed all the way in until they seat and then just tightened ‘enough’ .. I can only think people are confusing raising and lowering of the jet needle but I don’t recommend that and just keep it standard.

The pilot screws are accessed from the rear lower of the carbs when on the bike, but it’s really awkward … when I had my carbs off I set them up by gently screwing them all the way home until they ‘just seated’ and then backed them all off precisely two full turns out each. Once the carbs were installed I then synchronised (balanced) them with my gauges and she has purrred and run beautifully ever since.

The pilot screw full set up procedure is really awkward, at least I think it is and I didn’t have an accurate enough tacho like they suggest for + or – 50rpm. I just don’t feel it’s that crucial if you do the default adjustment.

I have a workshop manual in PDF form here for the F3 that I can email you?

Jules

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Here, I’ll make it easier on me. (Note this is from CBRF, IDODIRT)

1. Choke fuel supply (ByStarter)(not removable, but highly important for starting when cold.
    2. Main Jet/Needle Jet Holder (two pieces, one screwed the other).
    3. Slow Jet for idle and slow speed (low speed to half throttle).
    4. Air Supply for atmospheric pressure.
    5. Fuel supply seat for Float Valve.
    6. Fuel supply from fuel pump.
    7. Tube where Main Needle sits while in resting position.
    8. Pilot Screw (needs to be removed for proper cleaning, you should turn it in until it stops, counting the number of turns so you can put it back to where it came from if you’re not going to be adjusting it).
    9. Plug for idle mixture supply passageway and machining bypass ports.
    10. Engine coolant to help prevent freezing of carburetors. Keeps throat warm.
    11. Hidden passageway for Choke fuel supply.

All except #8 is supposed to be screwed in completely, yes?

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yes, all except number 8 which is the pilot screws … I say back them out two turns each, balance the carbs and forget about them unless you especially want to try that fiddly setup procedure .. I had had enough by then and just wanted to ride ..lol

Jules

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I understand now. I will try and get everything running correctly this time around.

Do you have my email? It’s same as always. If not I will pm you with it.

Profile photo of woo545
    woo545
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

On the my F2…

According to the numbered picture posted, number 1 was a bugger for me. It was just dirty enough that I couldn’t even tell there was a hole in there. I completely missed it the first time I cleaned my carbs. In the end, I pushed a single wire from a wire brush through both ends of the hole until they touched. Then blew it out with carb cleaner. I did this with all jet orifices.

As for the pilot screw, I backed them out 1 1/2 times before I balanced them, (as noted in the manual excerpt provided by Jules).

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I cleaned the carbs a few weeks back, but I’m 1000% sure it’s still not 100% clean since it’s been standing for a few years. Through some friends I got a deal to do a ultrasonic bath for 100 PLN… He’ll pull everything out, check everything, give it a bath then reassemble… if the bike was running he’d also do the balancing, but I want to do that :D Sad part is, when I first bought my bike the carbs had to be cleaned too and I paid a guy 100 USD (310 PLN to do a carb bath in a tub)….

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I have very bad news… I’m trying to deal with all the import nonsense sh!t, and it looks like the fees I will need to pay will be a LOT worse than parting out the bike and getting a new one… atm the fees I’m going to accrue

1,500 for illegal import (was honest mistake)
    800 for import fees
    500 for other fees
    800 for registering the bike
    ____
    3600 just to get the bike road legal, but not necessarily ride-able.

I’m going to go to another place today to see if I can talk some sense into someone to help me out and at least get rid of that 1,500 fine.

:(

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Oh, I’m really sorry to hear this Alan … I would just look for another and better F3 if it were me now, and just keep some parts, the better bits for spares, just sell the rest. Cut your losses, life is too short!!

About that 1500 import fee fine … can’t you fight it by saying you didn’t import a whole bike, but rather a box of spare parts that was never going to go back on the road or something along those lines if it helps? This way you can also prove it by selling off the parts and they will see it doesn’t go back on the road?

What a ridiculous list of monies due, surrounding an old bike with little value … the whole system is designed to steal all your money legally

Jules

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@Jules, it’s not that simple, whether or not it’s parts or entire it was illegally imported and that’s what I’d get the fine for. I told them it’s just the frame and engine and can bring it to prove it (which I’d need to in order to establish a price value) but that doesn’t exempt me from the fine… The Polish govt does this specifically to fux you out of money, corrupt govt with laws that permit them to do this, but at the same time I did break a law.

I can’t cut my losses that easily for this bike, not going to give up without a fight… it’s not the value of it, it’s all the man hours I put into it the sweat, tears, fried eyeballs, custs, scrapes, breaks and bends.

BUT

There’s a small light in the tunnel… I’ve always been told I have a gift of gab. I spoke to the supervisor at the import place and we got into a discussion… because I gave up freely and want to do the right thing they can wave/reduce the fine (I was told that there’s a 99% chance it’ll be waved) and they’d help me to get everything done… I’d have to pay 23% VAT and 6% import fee based on value of the bike in it’s current state (lets say 1500pln) that comes up to 90 PLN which is no problem… but nothing is that simple… I then went to where you register your motorcycle (DMV in america) the import place would allow me then to import as bike parts but not a bike which means I cannot register it… so with this new info on Monday I need to go to back to the import supervisor and make a deal with him to get this sorted, if he’s as helpful as he was thus far, I might come up ok.

Which will mean

176 PLN Fine (if any)
    356 PLN VAT
    90 PLN 6% import
    155 Agency fee

= 777 then another 200 for registration…. not bad in comparison…

IF I get lucky, I might be able to get the VAT waved, we’ll see about that.

kerosene
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

One more thing to add… I called 2 import places and I visited the 3rd one (where they supervisor is helping me) and each one said different things and different costs, it’s not even the law that is deciding how much of a fine I pay it’s the mood of the guy placing the fine.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.