Replace or Powder Coat Stock Rims?

RideCBR.com Forums Wheel & Tire Discussion Replace or Powder Coat Stock Rims?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rhyno900 rhyno900 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

What would you recommend for a 1000rr with stock rims? Looking to upgrade and trying to decide if I should powder-coat them black, or buy black rims.. Anyone powder coated their rims? How does it hold up on the road?

Profile photo of uforce
    uforce
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

i do not know from experience. but i would expect a powder coated rim to hold up very well. i come from an atv racing/riding background. racers will typically powder coat their frames, a-arms, etc. it holds up quite well to GNCC type racing. lots of rocks, mud, and grit. i would not hesitate to powder coat them.

Profile photo of broccoli2
    broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Yep im with uforce. Powder coat them but keep in mind they will need to be bead blasted first

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Okay, thanks guys.

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Definitely powder-coat. It does not only look good; it stays on like a bee on honey.

Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

bro, dont even powder coat! if you take them off and sand them down, spray them with about 5+ coats of plasti-dip, it will last you just as long as powder coat and wont chip off like powder coat does! it comes in a spray can, so you just spray it on like spray paint…instead of $200, only $20!

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Powder coat does not chip off if done right.

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

its hit and miss with powdercoating though….you cant really gurantee a good job the first go round..

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

You have to sand it down and prime it well. I suggest you do it at someone who knows what they are doing.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Well there is a powdercoating place near me, he does thousands of parts a month for big companies, and will give me a good price and guarantee the work. Leaning to that..

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

If the price is good, and he has lots of experience, I would go for that.
    Post pics of the finished results!

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@steria sand and prime???? you dont know what you’re talking about..

how much is he gonna charge you? make sure you get your bearings pressed out before you get it powdercoated or when they sandblast it its gonna ruin them…

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I just hate to be off my bike for a few days to get it powdercoated…lol…maybe eventually…haha

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@Mac – exactly, therefore you should get professionals to do it. All i know is that powdercoating is the way to go with rims.

mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I was saying you dont know what youre talking about becaus eyou were talking about sanding and priming it..

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Yes, I do not have experience with the method of powdercoating, since I am not a powdercoater. See the above post.

Profile photo of shoichirohonda
    shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Looking into that Plastidip stuff. Interesting.

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

if you find the right shop , powdercoating is tits, PC guy will sandblast rims to a SP-10 (white blast) , the powder is applied and baked at extreme heat. result is a coating that you will have to bent the rim for it to chip. Ive had great experience with powdercoating, Just remember to tape off your bearing journals and all threads(th powdercoater should do this for you)as measurement tolerances get out of wack with a 1/16″ powder coat. I did the rims on my 929 in gloss black and they turned out great, i even throw a coat of wax on em here and there.

Profile photo of natas
    natas
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

powder coat is ok.
    if you can spare the cash, go for replacement rims.
    spares you some weight and will increase the handling dramaticly!

i went with PVM wheels

Profile photo of borderline4laska
    borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Powder coat them in my opinion. That’s what I plan on doing with mine here in a week or so.

youtube.com/borderlinealaska

Profile photo of rhyno900
    rhyno900
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Hey Admin did you ever get your wheels done. I was debating the same thing. I think I am gonna do both and the reason being I need to get rid of the 16 inch front wheel that comes on my 98 from the factory. tires are a pain not alot of options with a 16 inch these days. Lol. Any one know where to get a good set of Rims from that will fit a 98 900rr
    also need to be really reasonable in price. I am a broke father of three lol

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.