Replacing fork spring question

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions Replacing fork spring question

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of anubisphoenix00 anubisphoenix00 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of anubisphoenix00
    anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Hey guys
    I am planning to respring my bike because the front end is too heavy for me and it’s difficult to lean the bike over and I wanted to swap out springs to lighten up the front end. I had couple questions before I buy springs, the first question I have an ’09 600rr how easy will it be to replace the spring by yourself? Can I keep the forks on the bike and have the front end lifted by a stand? While I swap the springs should I change my oil?

Thanks for the advice

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Have you tried an adjustment on the fork? your bike being an 09 , it shouldnt need new springs, i remember reading somwhere that these bikes are set up for a rider weight range tween 100lbs and 230lbs, if thats true , and if your weight is in between , you should be good with an adjustment . Unless you are a trackstar or a pro stunter, you really should leave it alone. Just trying to save you alot of money here bud . Hope this helps

anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I tried adjusting the forks and decreased the preload and adjusted the rebound and compression accordingly. Still not to my liking. I read somewhere else that the 09 is sprung for a 225lbs rider (racetech’s site) so there’s a difference in information there. One thing I haven’t tried but would like to know is if I lowered the front end height would this allow for the bike to turn-in easier?

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Bro, that’s “up to 225” . If your looking for good handling , don’t lower.

Profile photo of j600
    j600
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Go to the race tech web site and plug in you bike and settings and they will give you the baseline for front and rear springs. sounds like you need to watch a Dave moss video on setting sag front and rear. that would be my first step!! You tube Dave moss or On the throttle and you should find a few!!

Profile photo of crash
    crash
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

The key to knowing if you need to change your fork spring rate is; whether or not you can achieve your desired SAG # without having the preload fully in or out.

If you’re less than 175lbs, I would consider respringing the front end on ’07+.

Profile photo of j600
    j600
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

What he said /|\
    |
    |

Later!! :roll:

anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I did some experimenting with the front end and after making some adjustments to the preload and dampening front end feels better to my weight. Thanks for the advice.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.