RideCBR.com Unscheduled Downtime / Maintenance on 1/17 and 1/18

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR News & Announcements RideCBR.com Unscheduled Downtime / Maintenance on 1/17 and 1/18

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of spdygak spdygak 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

RideCBR.com was down late 1/17/14 and into 1/18/14. We were working on installing a new review system and doing some maintenance on the site when the site crashed and the database became corrupted. There was no security issues, the database just crashed. These things happen and this is why we pay for daily backups which is part of our monthly hosting payment.

I contacted our hosting company, and they said because we have grown so quickly, they stopped doing daily backups until we buy a better plan (first time i’m hearing this). I perform periodic backups, but I assumed that the daily backups would be easier, since they are hosted on our server. One click upload.. or so they say.

I scrambled through all of my files, edits, drafts, etc from the past week and found a database backup from 2 days and 17 hours ago. I’ve just uploaded that backup, and RideCBR.com is back online 100%. We’re back to normal across everything on RideCBR.com.

Unfortunately, any content across RideCBR.com that was posted between this post and 2 days and 17 hours ago (including activity posts, blog posts, forum posts, replies, etc) is gone.

At this point, i’m happy that we’re able to restore to this point. After over 14 hours straight of live chat, phone tech support, server work, and troubleshooting we’re back. To complete regular daily (or even hourly) backups, I went out to Best Buy today and grabbed a 2TB external hard drive to download everything. If this happens again, we will loose little to no information/files and we will be back online within minutes.

Working on a new hosting provider now, as well as a minute to minute backup system. Also looking into a dedicated server, but the options are pricey.

Thank you all for your patience, and continued support.

I apologize for the 2 day post/update loss.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@admin I’m piecing together what I can from email notifications :wink:

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Thanks! I’m trying to relax after a solid 20 hours of stress. Appreciate the help.

Just picked this up and backed up everything. My last external HD wouldn’t hold everything.

Will be running daily (if not hourly) backups from here on out.

I’m no longer relying on anyone for anything and will be moving to our own server soon.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’ll do what I can. I know you are working hard at keeping this a great place for us to hang out!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.