Safety wiring or lock wiring which ever you choose

RideCBR.com Forums Sportbike Pictures & Videos Safety wiring or lock wiring which ever you choose

This topic contains 16 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of smalls1000 smalls1000 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of smalls1000
    smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I’ve been drilling away and lock wiring like a mad man, well mainly because I keep twisting to much and snapping the wire.

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Why not buy race spec bolts? ;) hehehe Its an art to safety wire them together. I for one am not good at it. lol

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR Respol Edition

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Where I work anything above your head has to be wire locked I have gotten good work the spinning tool send you’re bike to the Philippines I’ll wire it it for you.

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@kgprice well I thought about buying some bolts that were predrilled, but where’s the fun in that. It’s something new to learn and have experience with. Such as I have learned not all drill bits are the same as I so foolishly wanted to believe

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Oh yeah @sdm1 let me go find out the shipping cost and I’ll let you know lol

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@smalls1000 touche I am always down to learn new things as I am a mechanical engineer rebuilding my bike and learning all kinds of things I thought I knew but didn’t haha

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@kgprice oh cool what do you work on? I actually wanted to try and be a mechanical engineer but the school sounds a bit hard.

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@smalls1000 I work on data system hvac automated control systems and my bike and car haha. Yes college was tough, however it is rewarding being in the Engineering field and I love it. It takes patience.

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@kgprice rewarding in what ways? Pay nice? Steady job with high employee retention rate? Or just loving what you do?

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@smalls1000 the pay is very nice ;) I love what I do because I can’t sit in an office (even though I have one) year round, thus I travel alittle bit which is nice change of scenery. I am always learning something new. Oh i can find a job anywhere which is nice.

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@kgprice ok yeah all those sound really nice to have especially in today’s times. Usually you have to give up one of benefits and pay usually isn’t one of them. That kind of job security must be a nice thing to know though too

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@sdm1 since you know this stuff does this look like a good wire? This is the only nut I drilled holes in and I did it on the corner so it’s not like the other ones I have done.

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Or @kgprice what’s your opinion?

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@smalls1000

O nooooo bro thats all wrong, just send it to me ill fix it for you :)

It looks good, you have more patients then I do. Are you twisting it by hand? I like the cover to protect it from rubbing and breaking it. Are you planning on tracking the bike? Or just doing it to do it?

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@sdm1 I have a set of pliers… I guess safety wire pliers are what you call them? The ones that you pull a knob and the pliers spin. I’m mainly doing it just to do it, I just like the small details. It’s the small details that just impress me; necessarily aren’t needed but someone took the time to do it anyways and I think it looks cool. And I guess the reassurance that the bolt or nut that is safety wired won’t come out is a nice perk too huh lol. I want to make sure I do it right though for that reason to, I don’t want it to just look good I want it to actually be right and work properly.

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I agree @smalls1000 , I love the small details as you can see in my build thread haha. The safety wiring looks good and clean. I am not an expert and do not do it everyday so don’t trust my answer 100% :rotfl:

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Just another picture to see what you guys think. I used these L brackets behind a bolt as anchor points to secure the safety wire to. My only concern is somehow by the grace of god these bolts rattle out then the two plugs technically aren’t safety wired anymore. I know the chance of these bolts coming loose are very slim (I thread locked and torqued the bolts down) but if I can improve on this than I would like to do it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.