SOOO HAVE YOU??

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse SOOO HAVE YOU??

This topic contains 18 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of crash crash 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of osker600
    osker600
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

WHen u first began riding motorcycles…….did you ever drop the bike…..accidently forget to put kickstand down….slipped while you were pushing it?? I want to know what kinda close calls or accidents you had with the bike when you were a beginner or even now a days. Lets hear them dropped stories…..any tears:)

Profile photo of raven
    raven
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I did the kickstand one. First ride meant first wash. Honda-polished entire bike, except rear wheel, where access was blocked by frame, chain, etc,. Mounted up, kickstand up, walked bike backwards, in neutral, six inches. Upon dismount, as the bike slowly leaned over, further and further to the point of no return, it dawned on me that I had neglected to put kickstand down. I had a slow-motion tug-o-war, hanging on to the right grip with both hands and pulling up for all I could, as Maeve touched the cement. When I got her picked up and dusted off, she only had two pinprick-marks on the engine casing. Since then, the only other mark has been caused by the dealership (in ROSWELL NM), equally tiny, which looks like they put her in a big vice to work on her. Anyway, I figure I got the Monkey off my back, and I’ve never again forgotten to fully engage the kickstand. Oh, and no tears, G.

“It’s not a matter of “IF?” you will go down, It’s a matter of “WHEN!” you will.___ Moto Axiom.

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

I was moving my F3 around the front of my cottage for pictures and being a wee bit weak at the time I lost my grip and couldn’t hold her up … I simply couldn’t bear the thought of my beautiful ‘as new’ F3 falling into the gravel path and so as my strength dwindled to the point where I HAD TO LET GO, I simply threw myself underneath her and got pinned very firmly to the ground, with the bike on top of me, crushing me slowly and painfully. I screamed for help and within minutes a few passers by were hauling the bike off me and putting her on the stand. I had gear lever and footpeg imprints etc in my legs and back and was a bit bruised up, but my bike was saved :-)

It was futile in the end as a month or so later my F3 literally exploded on impact with a car, honestly, the sound of exploding and shattering plastics still haunts me today, it was so damn loud for starters ..lol

Jules

Profile photo of inkslingerxx
    inkslingerxx
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@Juliet nice save I would have done the same.

Knocking on wood. The only time mine has been down wasn’t from me. It was when I got off work and found her on her side which initially I thought it was the wind until I found the kick stand was up.
    I’ve never had so much rage and sadness at the same time in my life. And yes I believe tears were welling up inside haha. :twisted: 8-O :(

I have made dumb mistakes before like riding in 24degree weather and repeatedly stalling out on an incline because my hand was numb and couldn’t feel the throttle lol. Now 35 degrees is my cut off haha

Profile photo of shawnsay
    shawnsay
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

That kickstand, the day I bought my bike, I got on it rode it 60 miles to Austin, pulled in a gas station , stopped in front of the pump, killed the engine and just hopped off. My leg buffered the impact pretty good but it snapped about 3 inches off my clutch lever which was the only part of the bike to touch the ground.

Profile photo of bacaboy69
    bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

It happens to the best of us

Profile photo of osker600
    osker600
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

YA HAPPENED TO BE TOO put kickstand down but wasnt all the way down and thr went my gsxr with a custom paint job didnt do much cuz of the frame slidders…

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I was out learning how to ride my friends bike in my neighborhood when I dropped it. I was trying to do a U turn and did a low speed drop.. I felt like an ass and fixed the broken blinkers the next day.

Profile photo of broccoli2
    broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I dropped my first sport bike, a ninja 600 about 24 years ago cause I thought I was cool and went thru a drive-thru and all was good until the 2 large sodas came out the window… Coke all over the bike and me… What a dip shit haha :mrgreen:
    And yesterdays I dropped my harley and broke the clutch lever.. I have forward controls and that bitch is heavy.. I was basically stopped and I couldn’t get my foot off and out fast enough and when a harley starts to go over it’s to late…haha… I don’t mind no real damage and I’ve had the feeling like I was going to crash for the last week or so and the last time I felt that way I crashed my dirt bike a spent 12 days in the hospital… There has been a few in the middle but I figure the first and last is good :mrgreen:

Profile photo of htown
    htown
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Just after i got this new bike i was posing for a picture with the bike up and in between my legs went to be a badass and pose…..bike started to go over i tried to save it but went past the point of no return and went down with me attempting to hold it up…..thank god there was no picture taken at the moment that it happened saved some embarrassment.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

My first bike, I rode up to my driveaway, put the kickstand down, got off, and realized the kickstand snapped back up while the bike was falling on top of me. Rookie mistake.

Profile photo of yellowcbrf4
    yellowcbrf4
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

The day I bought my bike, I pulled it into the garage and hopped right off of it. Forgot all abought the kickstand. Luckily I caught it right before it hit the ground. Also, when I first got it, I had my helmet sitting on the gas tank and was filling it up and overfilled it. It soaked the inside of my helmet with gas. Needless to say, I was high as a kite by the time I got home. Lol

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

:lol:

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Same experience here… just got my first bike and just put the fresh repsol plastics on and I pull in to gas up and get the kickstand but didnt push it all the way and I started getting off and it started tipping and i actually when into rage mode I was so scared of the plastics gettiong scratched up.. luckly I over powered right before it hit the ground :-D

Profile photo of skydynamics
    skydynamics
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

between my drive way and my shed is grass (downhill). just rained so I tried to bring the bike down to put away. what kind of idiot ride down the wet grass hill? lol. the funny thing is my brother did exact same thing even though i told him about it. good thing it was my first bike the R6. will never do that again.

Profile photo of yellowcbrf4
    yellowcbrf4
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Lol. Not too many people can say that they didnt do something stupid when first starting off. It sucks when it happens, but it gives you something to laugh about once you get some experience.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I dropped mine twice with one close call… the close call resulted in a pulled groin muscle cause it didn’t go all the way down after losing balance I cranked it back upright. . One drop when I was practicing, first two days with my bike, in the mall parking lot. I was starting from the stop sign to make a left and I stalled it so it hit the ground- Wooohoo for frame sliders (on it when I bought it). Then I was parking at the top of the driveway, which is on an incline, in front of the wife’s car and lost my balance.. over it goes and landed on this donkey planter that we have by the door and scratched my fairings. I was sooo upset since it really was perfect until then.
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Profile photo of crash
    crash
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Dropped my ’07 the first week I had it. I was trying to get my M permit at the local DMV and I grabbed a handful of front brake trying to make the U-turn box :oops: Some how I ended up under the bike so there wasn’t any damage done to the bike (not even the barend lol)

Profile photo of crash
    crash
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

2 street crashes.

Crash 1: Experience: 7 months seat time. Lowside going about 50-60mph into side of a mountain. Factors: Riding over my abilities, showing off, too confident too soon.

Crash 2: Experience: 14 months seat time. Rear ended a fellow rider’s bike which resulted in me lowsiding at 75+mph Factors: Riding like an a$$hat

^^ Last accident was a wake up call… almost 4 years crash free since. Went track-only about 2 years ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.