Sprocket adjustment question noob 101

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions Sprocket adjustment question noob 101

This topic contains 24 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of rhyno900 rhyno900 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Okay so I’m new when it comes to sprockets so my question is probably a noob question to many… I chose to post here hopeing for some help cause I know .net guys would rape me for posting it!

Anyways I wanna do -1 in front and +1 in back… How do I go about adjusting these? Do I need to buy new sprockets or can you adjust stock ones? Also how much do speedo healers cost?

Profile photo of crash
    crash
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Being a .net member as well…i can assure you, this question would have been flamed for sure lol

Your bike’s sprockets can not be adjusted. Your front and rear sprocket would need to be replaced in this case. You would need to use the forums/google to find whats known as your factory “tooth” count on each of the sprockets.

Some time this number is engraved into the side of them. Dont’ forget to post up what year your bike is.

’07+ Stock tooth count is 16 Front / 42 Rear I believe (please confirm as its been a while since I purchased my sprockets)

Google the SpeedoDRD…great product and its under $100 buckets with no cutting of wires.

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

helpfull^^^^ I have an 07 600rr

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I think it’s sad that those idiots will beat you down for asking a question. You are here to learn and those that have the knowledge should be willing to share it. It’s a good question if you don’t know.
    Thanks for answering respectfully @crash !

Which reminds me… Quote for the day

Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@qteter omg i cant believe you would ask such a stupid question…what kind of moron are you?!?!

LOL JK… but yeah, you cant adjust the teeth on a sprocket, I would check out sprockets made by Driven, why do you want to do -1/+1?

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

+1/-1 on my 600rr made it a rocket in first and second, rocket!

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

a guy who has great experience with bikes and has many mods on his 636 told me the best set up for sprockets is -1/+2.. I have an after market rear Vortex sprocket but im not sure on the tooth count… ill have to update on that but i do get a lot of compliments from guys who “test out” my bike who say its a lot ballzer then other 600’s they ride. my cousin doesnt even want to ride it because its so touchy :-D

Profile photo of hubbard2a
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I hink the rule of thumb is +5 in the back is equal to -1 up gront. The -1 front will make the most difference. Infact most chain and sprocket companies sell a quick excelaration kit, wich i usualy a stock chain and sprocket set with a -1 front sprocket. Or on size lighter chain and sprockets with a -1 front ( my 929 uses a 530 chain, the kit would be a 525 chain). The lighter chain and sprockets should spool up a little faster because of their lighter weight.

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

+1 @ crash,for the helpful answer.. I ride -1 on the front olny.(14T)

Profile photo of crash
    crash
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Alec Hubbard:
    I hink the rule of thumb is +5 in the back is equal to -1 up gront.

Just helping out guys, thanks! As far as equivalence(sp) -1 up front is equal to approx. +2.73 in the rear.

Profile photo of mactacular
    mactacular
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

im pretty sure my bike is ruunning -1/+2 and I can just crank the throttle and my front end will come up until I let go….I love the torque my bike has!

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Yeah after doing some research I decided to do -1/+2
    Now I don’t understand how to pick a chain or what brand to go with :/
    I just don’t need soo much top speed- rather put it somewhere that’s noticeable lol

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/1216204/525-superlite-steel-sprocket-set-wdid-premium-525-xring-chain—honda-cbr-600rr-03-11.html
    what I chose to go with if i do it.. now the question is what tools do I need?? and can someone with basic mechanical skills do this? — I do my own maintenance and stuff like slip ons ect

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

i love RKGold chains, 530 is what you should have.im not sure how many links you need tho, i recomend you buy a Fast accel kit, this will have the -1+2 sproks and a chain.

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

bambam:
    i love RKGold chains, 530 is what you should have.im not sure how many links you need tho, i recomend you buy a Fast accel kit, this will have the -1+2 sproks and a chain.

525 is stock though

Profile photo of inkslingerxx
    inkslingerxx
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Quinton Teter:
    I know .net guys would rape me for posting it!

Not me I’m a loveable asshole lol.

Anyways rode my buddys 600rr the other day with supersprox 520 did chain combo -1 +2 and loved it got mine in the mail.
    And indeed 525 is stock 16t front 42t rear

And speedo healers you can get the v2 for around 40-60 or the v4 around 100
    If I remember right the v4 is plug and play and much smaller worth the extra 40 imo.

Supersprox

V2

V4

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Trying to avoid aluminum and 520 so it won’t wear so fast :/

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Inkslingerxx: Not me I’m a loveable asshole lol.

Anyways rode my buddys 600rr the other day with supersprox 520 did chain combo -1 +2 and loved it got mine in the mail.
    And indeed 525 is stock 16t front 42t rear

And speedo healers you can get the v2 for around 40-60 or the v4 around 100
    If I remember right the v4 is plug and play and much smaller worth the extra 40 imo.

Supersprox

V2

V4

What did you pay total? How was the install?

hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yeah, the 600 uses thee 525. Our 929s run the 530.
    You can get a clip link for the masterlink. But I would feel much, much safer wih a rivit link. It requires a special tool though. The tool isnt overly expensive though and you can do your awn chain forever then.

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Yeah it’s like 50$ but from what I’ve hear it takes an air wrench to pop the front bolt

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Now this is a sprocket…
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

….of course it’s on a Gixxer
    Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

That’s huge ^^^^ lol

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

That what she said!!!!!!!!! :lol: ^^ at post #8199

The tool should be usable just by hand. A rivet link has slightly longer chain pins and the head of each pin is drilled hollow right up to where the side plate touches the inner two links when assembled. The tool just mushrooms the top of the pins and roles them over on the face of the side plate and traps it in place permanantly. you have to destroy the link to remove it. That makes it a great deal stronger and safer than a clip link.

Profile photo of rhyno900
    rhyno900
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

ok guys great answers. what would you suggest for a 900rr i would also like a little more get up and go from the start as i scare myself sometimes on top end.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.