Tank Bag or Backpack?

RideCBR.com Forums Riding Gear Discussion Tank Bag or Backpack?

This topic contains 36 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of dubv dubv 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

What’s your preference? Tank bag or backpack? I’m used to riding with a backpack for trips, but figured a tank bag would be great for the cell phone and gps and such.

Anyone have one?

I’m looking at this one for now:

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I have always wore a backpack, but will probably look into getting a tank bag one day. However, I think backpacks are convenient, just ’cause.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I always, always have a backpack. I would love a tank bag with straps, so you can magnet or strap it in, and when you take it off, it’s a backpack..

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Even though I get a tank bag, I am sure I still will wear a back pack.

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I just rock a backpack. My only issue is that at stoplights it slides between the passenger seat and me shoving my junk into the tank. I’m currently looking for a BP with waist straps in an effort to resolve this problem.

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

You won’t have a problem getting one with a waist trap. What brand of backpack do you have in mind ATX600rr?

atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I dont have a brand in mind. I did see a few aerodynamic ones at cycle gear but I’m not gonna pay the $90 they wanted for a small ass bag. I’m looking for cheap say $50ish that can carry 3-4 books and materials for my classes.

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Just go to any sports store (Academy maybe?) or bag store, and try on several to see which one you like best.

atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I will one of these days. It only does it on occasion when I uses the brakes. I normally just down shift and don’t have any issues.

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

As long as your b*lls are happy, it’s all good.

atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

LOL true that

Profile photo of 09redblackrr
    09redblackrr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I always just wear a backpack its more convienient

atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

The bikes look better with out tank bags. Its allmost like putting saddle bags on it if you ask me.

Profile photo of kpru
    kpru
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I just wear a backpack now but I’ve been thinking about getting a tank bag for a while

Profile photo of broccoli2
    broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I had a tank bag on my old ass ninga 600 I had when I was like 18. I never got used to the big clump of crap in my way. I now always rock my back pack unless im on my harley they my small ass swing arm bag is all I got

Profile photo of rrider
    rrider
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

I bought a tank bag for my 600rr but the magnets dont work on the tank cover duh! I took that back to C.G. and got a tail bag, after some mods to the straps it works pretty good without looking to silly.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

We get a lot of wind and I spend too much time laying on the tank. Backpack only way for me. But I don’t carry heavy books at the like. I usually only have clothes change (since I wear suits at work) or layers for weather changes. I agree with the bulky look and will probably only get a rear seat bag if I ever decide to ride long distance.

Profile photo of bacaboy69
    bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

As R.rider says the magnets dont work due to the metal being under the plastic they do sort of grab but not enough (the magents are super strong). I did not have this problem with my GSXR since the tank is all metal. I fixed my problem with all weather Fastners it look odd a bit but it keeps it in its spot while the magnets work just abit. Another negative is that the tank bag will/may scratch your Tank which I have a problem with since my bike is all black other colors you may not be able to see it. Another is that they are small. Mine is about 3in wide and 7in long and 5 in deep.

Plus side for the tank bag is that it’s not on your back not putting pressure on your back and weighing you down.

Backpack negatives are it weighs you down.

Positives are its a bigger area to hold things in, doesn’t scratch the bike, you can grab a form of straps that bind together and you can attach it to your tail and make it a tail bag. I did it with bunjiee cords.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’m a fan of this one. Best of both worlds. I rock an old Jansport I’ve had since high school (late 90’s).

Profile photo of skydynamics
    skydynamics
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

i think i’d go with a backpack. much more convenient

Profile photo of shoichirohonda
    shoichirohonda
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Anyone have a Joe Rocket backpack? Looks cool, can fit a helmet in plus more, how’s the aerodynamics?

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I’d definitely go with a back pack. tank bag is to dorky if you ask me. Makes me think my bike has a fanny pack.

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

plus I’m a college student with 5 different classes and five different books and a laptop so back pack is my only option.

you gotta pull up to college on a bike to impress the ladies.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Been there, done that lol

Profile photo of nico
    nico
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

If I’m just commuting or not planning on being at all spirited I use my tank bag, and the magnets in it are strong enough for the task… it can get knocked around a little when I get a high crosswind though.

If I plan on having a little fun, backpack is the only way to go. The tank bag gets in the way entirely to much. I also have a rack bag I used to use on the last couple of bikes… just haven’t gotten around to making a rack for it yet. Of all the choices, that bag was by far my favourite. Plenty of space, doesn’t get in the way, doesn’t weigh my back down… only downside is that it and it’s rack are ugly as sin!

One thing I do like about my tank bag is that the bottom zips off, and the bottom has a clear plastic pouch in it for putting a map and my phone… good to see when the wife is calling.

Profile photo of cbrman50
    cbrman50
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Imo backpack only

Profile photo of qteter
    qteter
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

get a Dakine backpack

IMO tank bags are pointless because you really can only put a few little things unless you get a huge one in which case you should consider saddle bags

Profile photo of hoosier1104
    hoosier1104
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

When I went to school I rode with a backpack and tank bag. Now I just ride with a tank bag.

Yeah I am a fan of Icon.

Profile photo of inkslingerxx
    inkslingerxx
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I use my old empire paintball backpack(I used to be heavy into tournaments). It has plenty of room and pockets for anything including helmet + rain gear. It has back pads and waist strap too. Ive used it plenty to work for over a year and its held up wonderfully. It is a little larger than your conventional motorcycle pack but I haven’t had any issues with it.

Profile photo of woo545
    woo545
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Admin:
    I always, always have a backpack. I would love a tank bag with straps, so you can magnet or strap it in, and when you take it off, it’s a backpack..

During the colder months I opt for a backpack. Hotter months, tank bag.

This is my tank bag. It has the straps so it can double as a backpack and it also has a built-in helmet carrier.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/4/71/2223/ITEM/Icon-Urban-Tank-Bag.aspx

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.