The Gopro Thread

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse The Gopro Thread

This topic contains 24 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of smalls1000 smalls1000 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Starting this thread for tips, tricks, and anything else Gopro related.

My awesome wife and kids got me a Gopro Hero 3+ silver for my birthday. Also the suction cup mount and the blackout housing.

I’m really excited for the riding season to start this year. @yanahmean also got one recently so hopefully we can get some good clips of the WV back roads.

Profile photo of borderline4laska
    borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@dubv congrats! Ive had my gp3 silver for a few years now and I love it! Honestly at the time I didnt really wanna spend so much.. Between sd cards and accessories it can get spendy. Thankfully the bundle package of mounts isnt terribly expensive. But yeah, after everything ive used my camera for, it was worth every penny. I take it everywhere.

A few tips I can tbink of off the bat, and forgive me if these are obvious but there musts

Get the good sd cards, with lots of memory. They have grades which is basically quality. Don’t get cheap ones or you’ll get to deal with corrupt files often, and lose footage in the process. And even though they can get 80$+ the cards with lots of memory are the way to go, youll thank yourself for one later. I have a 2 64g and they do pretty good.

Also, The suction cup is great! I use it a lot. It cant be trusted though lol. Even with a perfectly clean surface, the surface needs to be flat as possible. Honestly, i sometimes tie it off with a ziptie or string incase it comes off. I had mine fall off, its in one of my youtube videos.

Also, if you have an iphone or android, you can download the app and use your device as a remote and viewfinder. And save files to the device. VERY handy considering the white and silver models dont come with the remote.

I can give you more tips on awesome spots to mount it and other things, im using from mobile right now though. Ill think of some more and post up again later. :)

youtube.com/borderlinealaska

Profile photo of smalls1000
    smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I wish I still had my gopro, but it was kind of a pain for me, took the spur of the moment away and was just a hassle for me.

Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Congrats on the GoPro @dubv. One thing that I’ve ran into either early or late in my riding season is fogging of the camera housing. Little packets are sold to help prevent this, but I was not aware of this at the time of my problem. The BIGGEST and BEST suggestion I have is to read your manual. Read it more than once. It is extremely irritating to go for a ride and be clueless on how to set your camera up once there, or to change settings for different conditions and/or desires. I usually use the suction cup mount for mine as well. I am not a fan of the idea of a sticky tape mount anywhere on my plastics. But, to each their own. I’ve had the most success with placing the suction cup on the mid-fairing. It provides plenty of surface area. I had the mount fail a few times, so this placement offers the chance to check the camera occasionally.

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Sweet thread idea @dubv :gocrazy: and congrats… I too just got one for x-mas recently and have been playin with it a little bit… :grin:

Let’s see some pics of where and/or how everyone’s got them mounted?!?!

I need me ideas… Lol!

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@borderline4laska the wife also got me a SanDisk 64gb class 10 sd card.
    @94f2-08rr definitely getting some of the anti-fog things for mine. Like you I’m not a big fan of putting the sticky mounts on my fairings. Maybe if I put a black graphic on the front I might consider putting one there if it blended in.
    @cbr-f2 I’ve been watching all kinds of mounting videos on YouTube for ideas.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Going to be making some of these soon. Look super easy and much cheaper than buying them.

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@dubv

My little brother has a GoPro black hero 3+ he loves it, uses it every time he leaves the house. I have the original contour which is old and outdated but still does a decent job of recording. I use a 32GB class 10 SD card, I record in 1080P @ 60 FPS it uses a lot of battery however on my contour the battery life kills the GoPro. Our usual ride is 200 KM of twisties up and back I can do it on 1 charge while my little bro has to change out batteries where we stop for the return ride down the mountain.

We have both tested different locations for the camera for the angles of turning (the leans of the bike in the turns) the suction cup mounted on the side of the fairing does a great job at getting the lean angle. However it is very jumpy when watching it back. Every bump in the road is captured even when you put it on smoothness. Most times we both just use the helmet mount, it doesnt give a great lean angle however its much more smooth when watching it.

For tie downs I would suggest using fishing line and secure it to the bike. Nothing worse then getting where your going and your GoPro didnt make it with you. I tell me little brother to use it but he never listens. Once its gone he will wish he had listened. I would also suggest getting extra batteries and a charger for them. He carries 3 batteries plus he carries his charger with him.

The app for your phone is a nice option for setting up the camera and checking what your recording (making sure your recording what you want) however it sucks the battery down even faster so I would say use it to make sure your pointed and seeing what you want to view then turn it off. I am sure my little bro can help you out a lot more then I can he is a tech geek and learns everything about the camera and will have many more suggestions then I have.

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Here you go @cbr-f2, some pictures…

This is me pulling up to a stop light.

This I me taking off from that stop light.

This is one of the many cars that made an appearance. One eventually hit the camera enough to shoot it towards the curb and out of danger. I think the series of photos captured are hilarious and laugh each time I look.

And @dubv. I’ve wondered if the little silicon packets that you find in shoe boxes or packaged beef jerky would work in the same manner. I’ve considered placing one of the sticky mounts on my swingarm, I have a friend that has placed one here, or back underneath the headlights.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I finally got to use my Gopro today! Picked up a tripod and the tripod mount for my son’s wrestling tournament. His first match he hit a sweet double leg take down, and immediately my wheels started turning on how I wanted to edit it. This was my first time using any kind of video editing software, and I think it turned out pretty good.

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@dubv

Damn total domination. Loved the double leg take down. He is now known as the white “ROCK” :bow:

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Thank you Amazon! Ordered the stuff to make the tethers for my Gopro. A set of Gopro string tethers are $19.99. Just 1 steel tether is $6.99. I spent 22.38 with free shipping and have enough supplies to make 25 steel tethers. I’ll post some pics when I get a couple made.

1/16′ (0.0625″) Coated Wire Rope 25’… $5.88
    http://www.amazon.com/Loos-Galvanized-Coated-Breaking-Strength/dp/B0050K37MI/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1422914098&sr=8-7&keywords=1+16+coated+wire+rope

1/16″ Wire Rope Crimping Sleeves… $7.05
    http://www.amazon.com/Loos-Cableware-Aluminum-Crimping-Diameter/dp/B0038YY25Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422914392&sr=8-1&keywords=1+16+wire+rope+crimp

Heat Shrink Tubing… $9.45
    http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Shrink-Sleeve-Tubing-Assorted/dp/B008WWC6FU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422914574&sr=8-1&keywords=heat+shrink+tubing

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Not sure if this belongs here @dubv , but this is a killer GoPro/drone video . I freeking love this overview of the reef and watch this clip at least once a week. Feel free to delete this if its too far off topic bud.

Amazing how awesome these little cameras are.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

That’s pretty awesome @bambam. I’ve got a buddy that has a drone. We’re hoping to get a chance to do some video with it this season.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Snagged this today at work. 30% cheaper that any store around here. Amazon and Ebay too.

94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

What the!?… That is a heck of a deal.

Profile photo of yanahmean
    yanahmean
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Opened mine today lol.. @dubv gave me motivation yesterday to do so.. this thread gives some good tips

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Now I want to buy a quadcopter and a gopro.. thanks guys.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Well after several rides using the suction cup mount I haven’t had much luck. Good thing the tethers I made work great! On the last ride I had the Gopro come loose from the front of the bike loop around and hit the kill switch. Funny now not so much then. In the video you can see my hand twisting the throttle like WTF.

I’m not a fan of the sticky mounts on my fairings so I decided to come up with my own mount.

My first idea was to put bar end mirrors on and drill a hole in the block off plate and mount the tripod mount to it…. The mirrors were a no go , but @yanahmean got a good laugh of them.

On to the newest version. I still really like the idea of the mirror location mount. So I thought I’d make a bracket to fit the tripod mount to. Here’s how it turned out.
    This is what the camera sees.

Reverse angle in regular riding position:
    Reverse angle tucked position:

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

now that is an amazing idea @dubv … i love it… im gonna make one now i too could not bare to stickin the mount to my fairings… awesome!!! :bow:

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@cbr-f2 I used a small piece of foam between the bracket and the fairing. I’ll try to get some pictures of the bracket itself after I test it out and see if everything stays in place. Then if everything works out I’ll take it off to paint it black.

I used a 1/16×1″ stick of aluminum stock for the bracket. Then drilled 2 holes to hit both mirror mounting bolts. The Gopro tripod mount I used has 2 mounting points (square style with quick release) so I drilled the bracket to hit both. The only thing I’m wondering is if I should put lock washers on them.

Here’s a little closer look.

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

That is sweet man! I’ve got some ideas brewin now!

On another note… I thought I’d share some of my few GoPro toys and ideas too!

So I tried this suction cup set up on my tank… Not sure how the video is yet though. Lol!

I also picked up a case protector and some lens protectors for it as well, which work great.

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Has anyone used the Hero camera the one thats just called “Hero”. I know its the basic model but want to know if its any good considering the dramatic price difference compared to their other lineup.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@smalls1000 I’ve never personally used one but I’ve seen a few reviews on YouTube. The video quality looks ok to me. For the price it’s a good deal.

smalls1000
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

@dubv ok I’ll try and look up some of those videos reviews of it. Thanks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.