The Shop Build

RideCBR.com Forums Member Build Threads The Shop Build

This topic contains 22 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jnsracing jnsracing 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

This will not be your typical bike build thread. Rather a deconstruction of a barn and rebirth of a new shop. This project started about a year ago. My father sold his last horse and had this wonderful space just setting around. We were hanging out one evening after a long ride having a couple beers and the dream was born…. “let’s convert the barn into a motorcycle shop”.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

In the beginning there was a pole barn. This is when dad first bought the property about 1990. It was the only thing on it.

As the years went by dad got more horses and needed more space. The pole barn was consumed by a 2500 sqft. barn. It included 5 horse stalls, a birthing stall, tac room, wash bay, sawdust storage, and a large hay crib.

Here’s some horses and the inside of the barn….

This barn was his pride and joy…. it was the envy of the guys he rode horses with. They can’t believe he’s dismantling his barn.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Let the deconstruction begin! First we had years of clutter to move out/sell then it was on…

First part was tearing down the partitions between the stalls. Let me tell ya… when my dad builds something it’s made to last. He never had any intentions of this barn being anything but a barn. It took weeks to clear out these partitions.

We would meet up at 0 dark 30 on Saturday mornings and work till dark.

The demolition:

Just so you don’t think dad did all the work and I stood around snapping pictures.

One stall down… 5 more to go.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Probably would have been easier to put up another structure for a shop.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Along the way we decided it was a good idea to tear out all the columns and span the area with 1 reinforced beam. This way there is nothing in the way… just open room.

Step 1: support the roof with temporary poles and tear out the old ones.

Step 2: pour a new footer to set a new column on, and build the new column.

We built 2 new columns. 1 smaller one to support the front side of the roof and 1 large one that would be supporting both roves.

Step 3: build and set the new beams. These beams are huge and ridiculously heavy. They measure 26′ long x 12″ tall x 5″ thick. Each one is made of 5 2x12x16 boards and laminated with 1/2″ plywood between them.

The first 2 beams we muscled into place by hand with the help of 1 other guy.

In the process of setting the second beam I blew out my back. 3 bulging disks and 2 herniated disks. I was out of work for 8 weeks doing all kinds of crazy therapy to prevent surgery.

Profile photo of cbr-f2
    cbr-f2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Thats lookin really good!

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

The next part was tearing off the old oak boards on the outside and replacing it with tin. The original pole barn was built in the early 30’s and the original oak planks were still in really good shape (considering they’ve been in the weather for over 80 years) so we saved them for other projects.

Side note: only half of the space will be used for the garage the other half will be a wood shop.

We added 3 windows and an exterior door while framing the wall for the tin.

Once we made it this far we realized the ground was too high and we needed to dig a trench to allow the tin to line up right… did i mention it was 18 degrees the morning we did this? The ground was frozen so hard it was like digging through concrete with a pick and shovel. But we got it done…

This was pretty much it for the winter. It was just too cold to do any big projects so we decided to wait till spring.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

WHOO HOO! Spring is here…. Let’s get back at it.

With spring came more deconstruction, cleaning out, and most important warmer temps.

In case you don’t recognize that shady character in the hoody it’s @yanahmean and my son.

If you’re wondering what those large holes in the wall are… my dad is an avid rabbit hunter and has spent the last 15 years developing a high end bloodline of Beagles (his dogs have been sold to some of the top rabbit hunters a crossed the country). The holes will be the pass through from the kennels to the dog boxes inside.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

That’s awesome so far! Love seeing the progress.

@yanahmean helping out for brownie points so he can get bike work done for free? :gocrazy:

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

With the temps continuing to rise it was time to start grading the floor in preparation to pour concrete. But first we had to dig a grave…. Let me explain. Over the winter my dad and I picked up a motorcycle table lift on the cheap. A shop in VA was going out of business and we got it for a 1/3 of the price of a new one. we chose to recess it in to the floor to save space. This meant we had to dig a hole to put it in. But wait there’s more. Dad decided he wanted to put a french drain under the lift so we could wash down the floor when needed to. This meant we now had to dig a hole 8’long, 18″wide, and 2’deep. Let’s just say it sucked! because my back was still on the mend I enlisted the help of @yanahmean thanks again bro.

With the grave dug we built a form and placed it and dug a trench to run conduit for the air line. I enlisted more help LOL.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

With the grave dug and the form set it was time to start grading the floor. We spent days doing 800sqft. by hand, but by time we finished the entire area was within a 1/8″ of grade.

Now that the floor was ready we decided to disassemble parts of the wall to allow the shoot to access the area being poured.

LET THE POURING BEGIN!!!! We waited a long time to get this far, and it’s finally here.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Floor poured and lift installed we can finally start the rebuild. First up building a partition between the garage and the wood shop.

Testing the lift.

At this time we’re running electric, adding new lights, painting, and moving tools from the garage at the house to the new shop (not an easy task with a 40+ years of tool collection)

This has been an awesome experience with my dad. Lots of hands on learning and bonding. I will continue to update this build as we get farther along. This project is part of the reason I was MIA for so long.

Profile photo of yanahmean
    yanahmean
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Nice thread..good job with the narrative. I would have sounded like an un educated person if attempting to type that much in sequence. . Your welcome for the help i did learn a couple things in the process.. and access to the shop @admin lol..

Profile photo of 01cbr600f4i
    01cbr600f4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Love the lift recessed into the floor, very nice touch.

Profile photo of theredrocket
    theredrocket
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Very nice. Cool to see three generations working, teaching and learning together. Brings back fond memories of rebuilding our old house with my pops back in the day. Keep up the good work and jealous about your snazzy lift u got ther.

Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

WOW!… @dubv, this is awesome for so many reasons.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Thanks everyone for the positive feedback. It’s coming along nicely. I have to get some more recent pics. Dad painted the bottom half of the wall a dark red. When we talked about the red I was thinking more like Honda red not a wine red. It still looks good though.

Profile photo of jnsracing
    jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Nice work! I’m definitely jealous of this future workspace!! :roll:

(((http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/my-f2-builds/))) (((https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72)))

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Holy Shit! this is hella-sweet! , that is gonna be one killer shop brother. Diggin the lift bigtime. Its cool to see the kids helpin out , they will never forget it! also cool to see @yanahmean helpin ya out .

I liked the home-made glue-lam beam , it looks like it will carry the world..

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@bambam shortly after we got the beams in place we had 18″+ of heavy wet snow. In preparation we put up temporary posts up…. just in case. We left them all a 1/4″ above the floor just to see if there was any sag in the roof…. they all measured a 1/4″ with all the snow on the roof.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Here are some updated pics of the shop.

These are some cabinets we will be putting in along the wall with the peg board.

There will be a bulkhead above it work space with 4 of these in it.

Cool sign a friend of Dad’s got him.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I love the recessed bike lift. It really looks great.. nice work!

Profile photo of jnsracing
    jnsracing
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

SOOOOOOOO jealous! :mrgreen:

(((http://ridecbr.com/forums/topic/my-f2-builds/))) (((https://www.facebook.com/JNSRacing72)))

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.