Thinking of a CB1000R…

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse Thinking of a CB1000R…

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of saturnv saturnv 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

..as a possible next bike.

For a while I’ve liked the idea of more comfort and an upright riding position but still want to feel a sharp handling responsive bike beneath me.

I also love the idea of just being able to use the engine’s torque for just about all real road circumstances.

I like the colours in this one too 😀

Anyone got any experience of a CB1000R, thoughts?

Jules

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace...

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Or this colour? Hmm…help me choose 😜

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace...

Profile photo of lemarck234
    lemarck234
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I’ve always thought a CB1000R would compliment my F4 very well.. Best of both worlds!

JeanLemarck - Survival of the Squiddest

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@jules

I have one, they are a great bike. Not as fast as the RR’s, they are a different ride also, leaning is completely different style. The CB is a good bike very light and agile, sharper turning radius. I have many many upgrades on mine as I am big and tall so suspension was a must do for me as the front felt like it wanted to wash in the hard turns I went with stiffer springs and had the fluid level changed in the front, Ohlins on the rear re-sprung for my weight. Throttle response is great i love the low end torque, I would suggest getting the HRC quick turn throttle for it about $12.00 on fleebay makes a day and night difference. My bike is pictured below, I also dropped a few links that I have wrote up here for the bike.

First impression

BMW 6 headlight

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@sdm1

Thank you for that information 😀

I’m only quite light and not looking for critical handling. As long as it feels safe and secure and has decent ability around the twisties do you think the standard bike would be alright for me.

I would just be bimbling around on it and enjoying the low and midrange grunt of the 1000cc motor 😀

Jules

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

The bike will do everything you want and ore @jules the suspension should be fine for you, as your light. I say test drive one then drive it home after you buy it. Good solid all around bike.

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Nice bike, Jules :wink:

I’ve gone down a similar route already but chose the CBF1000 – you could call it the CB1000R’s older brother – or grandfather lol. De-tuned Fireblade engine, loads of low-down torque at the expense of reduced top-end.

I chose the ‘boring’ option cos I need 1/2 fairing and screen as I hope to go touring sometime soon – been on some long day trips already and am adding full luggage with the intention of going on a week’s tour of Western Ireland next year…

Just beware that the CBF1000 (and I assume the CB also) have had historic alternator stator failures from new – loads of horror stories on the CBF1000 forum about total failures even on low mileage bikes. It got so bad that Honda eventually acknowledged the issue and extended the warranty on all Mk1 versions to 7 years for stator failures… Not a difficult DIY job though and I’ll probably replace mine before next year.

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Lovely bike Tim 😀

I have been somewhat torn lately…I wish for the extra comfort but still want performance, I love the classic look of the CB1000 that @fishfryer has yet still hanker for the funkier looking CB1000R … I no longer want speed at my age but I do love the idea of an unstressed thou that handles and I only use the first half of the rev range yet still have fun riding. So I guess with me these days that torque talks and I just want some fun between 50 – 80 mph. Why would any sane being wanna hang around at an easy 140 mph anyway 🤔

Jules

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@Jules said:
    Lovely bike Tim 😀

I have been somewhat torn lately…I wish for the extra comfort but still want performance, I love the classic look of the CB1000 that @fishfryer has yet still hanker for the funkier looking CB1000R … I no longer want speed at my age but I do love the idea of an unstressed thou that handles and I only use the first half of the rev range yet still have fun riding. So I guess with me these days that torque talks and I just want some fun between 50 – 80 mph. Why would any sane being wanna hang around at an easy 140 mph anyway 🤔

Jules

Cheers Jules :)

Although the one you’re looking at is definitely the funkier bike, aesthetically!

Same engine as mine though (i.e. detuned Fireblade from whenever) can ride all day like a car engine you know – pottering along in the rev range from tickover up to 4k. CB1000R has alloy frame and sexier exhaust too. I joined the CBF forum online and you definitely realise they appeal to guys of a certain age (old men or getting there like me lol) – until they find them too heavy and return to 600’s :)

BTW that picture (my bike in the middle) was taken on a CBF rideout to view Wiltshire White Horses (chalk hillside ones lol). Myself and 4 others – I reckon I was the youngest bloke there and I’m no spring chicken!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.