Tightening Head set

RideCBR.com Forums General Tech Discussions Tightening Head set

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nico nico 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of broccoli2
    broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

So I took it our for a test ride after I changed my throttle cables. i was doing about 65 and dropped the throttle and sat up and took my hands off the bars… Holy hell, I almost had tank slap, (alright it wasn’t that bad).. I stopped at a light applied the front brake and pushed forward and back. i could definitely feel the head set being loose.. So, I have done this before on dirt bikes but never on a bike with all the fairings.. So my question is how the heck do I get the front tire off the ground? i was thinking an engine hoist with a strap around the front of the frame.
    Just for giggles i called my local shop and they quoted me $140, I am way to cheep for that.
    Anybody ever done this at home?

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I have a front and back stand, helps a bunch when doing projects like that. Harbor Freight had them on sale 2 for $80 but now they are like $70 each.

broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Cant use a front stand when doing the Head set cause you need to take the top triple off and you have to have free play and no weight on the lower or forks.. kinda a pain in the ass really

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Touche.. in that case i’d hook up the back stand, lift it up, and use my engine lift to lift the front, and try to secure it any other way I could.. I’d probably suck it up at that point and pay the $140 to avoid frustration.

broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

haha.. Think thats what I’m going to do… My wife says i’m not happy unless I frustrated in the garage :twisted:

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

What guy is? lol

broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Alright. Im an idiot. :-D :lol: I dawned on me that the guy said this bike has been sitting for awhile. So I checked the tire presure. 16 in the front and 18 in the back….. now wonder it handled like ass. Weird cause usally this is one of the first things I check when I buy anything new or used… my F350 had 34psi in all four when I drove it off the lot (should of had 80psi)

anyway. Check your tire presure people

Profile photo of nico
    nico
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

FWIW, to check the head bearings put the bike on the side stand and then put a jack with a piece of wood under the right hand header pipe at the front. Jack it up a bit and hey presto the front wheel comes off the ground…

When replacing the head bearings I usually just support the bike by it’s sliders…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.