Tyre Advice for CBR 600 F3

RideCBR.com Forums Specific CBR Model Discussions 600F3 Forum Tyre Advice for CBR 600 F3

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jules jules 9 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Hi, what are the latest opinions on best rear tyre options for F3? Currently running on Avon Storm but not happy with tram-lining over minor bumps & road imperfections / markings / camber. I’ve got Bridgestone Battlax on my CBF1000 and they feel much better but someone on that forum recommended the Michelin Road Pilot PR3 or 4 for best combination of wet & dry grip and low wear characteristics for street / touring use…

Thanks, Tim

Profile photo of kgprice
    kgprice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I run Q3s on my 929rr and love them…but motomummy has a killer deal on the battleax that I missed.

Kevin
    Pittsburgh, PA
    2001 Honda CBR 929RR Respol Edition

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Q3 are they Dunlop?

I doubt I’ll get any good deals living in UK anyway! Last time I got 2 tyres it cost me £200 inc fitting (about 300 dollars) but they were for my old Yamaha Diversion

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

yes, Dunlop Q3. . 50/50 hyper street tire with carbon fiber reinforced sidewalls. . . I ride conservatively and i got 5000 miles out of a rear before the tread reaches the wear bar. . rode it till 7000 and was past wear bar but still plenty of traction. . rated to 168mph. . road through a thunderstorm last month with a set of Q3 tires and had zero slips, even in the curves. . great in dry and wet conditions..warm up quickly too. .I have to admit I am also parcel to Dunlop Qualifier series. . had Dunlop Extreme Qualifiers on my F2. . Q1s. . .

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

This was my last Q3 at 7000 miles

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I have heard from several people that the pilots have a squishy feeling when leaning into a turn because of the siping is so prominient, almost like the tire is flexing through the turn

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Cool! Are they designed for general sport touring use or more for the sporty street rider? Wondering if the Bridgestone Battlax would be more suitable for my type of riding on the 600… What I mean is would I get more mileage out of a more general type of tyre; I mean I’ve already done over 2,000 miles on the Avon Storms and can’t even see any signs of wear. But I take on board what you’re saying about the Michelin Road Pilots – read somewhere that they have soft sidewalls – no idea why.

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I have battllax tires on my st 1300 bt020f is the model I believe. I’ve heard that the rear tires can last up to 13,500 miles. . . the middle 50% of the q3 is medium compound and the 25% on either side is soft. as you can see from my wear, I ride way more straight than twisty. .

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yep I noticed that your tyres were ‘squared off’ but didn’t like to mention it! Had that effect on my CBR600 when I bought it and luckily the dealer noticed it and replaced it for me – that square profile can make the handling feel horrible. Didn’t realise the Q3’s had mixed rubber compounds that’s interesting…

Profile photo of nueyf4i
    nueyf4i
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

that was at 7k. . . since replaced and have 5k on the current ones:)

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I really Like the Pirelli Angel GT’s have always gotten good results from them. Dual compound hard center with softer sides for cornering. I ride hard and fast on them they hold nice on big leans. I havent used many other tires as where I live what you can get is limited. I dont go for cheap tires as they always let you down.

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of drewz97cbr600f3
    drewz97cbr600f3
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I have a new Pilot Road 4 rear and a Pilot Pro front that were on my F3 when I bought it and when cornering I feel the rear tire flex. Kind of like riding a marshmallow. Does anyone have any experience with the Continental Sport Attack tires?

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

The set of tires i put on my CBR are Michelin Pilot Power 2CT’s. They are a dual compound, as mentioned above, they are super sticky on the sides with a harder compound in the center. So far i have around 1000 miles on them and they are holding shape real nice. Im not a racer by any means but i do lean it over and power thru turns often and i can honestly say that these are the most confidence inspiring tires ive ever riddin. I know these are more of a sport tire than a sport/tour tire so i doubt life expectancy will match but the trade off is a great set of tires that stick like glue in most all conditions. Hands down the best set of tires IMO. Just remember , no matter what tire , always check your air pressure before riding, it will get the most out of any set you choose.
    Peace-

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Pilot Roads would be a good choice for touring in your damp climate.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Tell me about it! Raining AGAIN :-(

Seriously though some guys are saying that those Road Pilots flex too much on bends, any opinion on that?

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I just put MPR4’s on my bike (not f3 though). Never use PR’s before so this will be my first experience with them. Taking a long trip next week and will report back with results afterwards.

Profile photo of 74demon
    74demon
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I’ve run many sets of pilot powers. I thought they felt great, and I’m on it hard in the canyon. Maybe because I run a 190/50 on the 929, it’s wide enough that the sidewall isn’t a problem.

Give the roads a try and see what you think. It’s certainly won’t be the last set you will buy…

I just ordered a set of 2CT to go on it for the summer.

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

OK well when I eventually get the F3 back together I may just do that! Got all the fairing panels now; they ended up replacing virtually all of the first lot due to faults on paintwork and/or bad manufacturing :-(

They also agreed to refund my Customs charge for the new lot and gave another £30 refund cos I still wasn’t very satisfied with some of the stripes (bad masking & paintwork) Oh, and they threw in a free tank cover cos I complained that the stripes don’t line up with the original tank!

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I put Bridgestone BT 021’s ‘sport/touring’on my F3 early last year…they seem perfectly fine and grippy 😀

Jules

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace...

Profile photo of saturnv
    saturnv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@Jules said:
    I put Bridgestone BT 021’s ‘sport/touring’on my F3 early last year…they seem perfectly fine and grippy 😀

Jules

Cheers Jules :)
    Yes I’m quite impressed with the Bridgestone tyres myself too…

Profile photo of jules
    jules
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Yes, my Bridgestone are just dandy… I don’t think I’m that critical these days, I mean how fast do I need to go round bends at my age? especially if my view is somewhat impaired…just tyres that aren’t thread bare will do 😂

Jules

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace...

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.