VW buying Ducati to compete with BMW Motorcycles

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse VW buying Ducati to compete with BMW Motorcycles

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pacemaker pacemaker 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

It’s official!

BERLIN/HAMBURG, April 17 (Reuters) – Volkswagen’s Audi premium-car division has agreed to buy Italian motorcycle company Ducati for about 860 million euros ($1.12 billion) including debt, two people familiar with the matter told Reuters on Tuesday.

VW buying Ducati to compete with BMW Motorcycles

Profile photo of broccoli2
    broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I had a 749 and hated it and god forbid something needed replacing… Maybe VW will make them more affordable… I was also looking at a Husky dual sport (owned by BMW) wonder if VW will go after Beta to compete with that… LOL

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I hope they make it more affordable to own and maintain, but I doubt it. They are looking to compete with BMW and they are going to try and re-revolutionize the industry, when they should be cutting costs to get a bigger following.

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Broccoli; Ducati’s are pretty expensive, right? And they do not perform very good in your opinion?

Profile photo of broccoli2
    broccoli2
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

This is how I now look at Ducati’s….
    They look cool, sound even cooler but,
    High maintenance that is very expensive
    a bolt is 8 buck instead of the 99 cent for a honda, it stupid
    As far as preform, my 749 was a fast fun bike but NOT as a daily rider
    I am not a track guy so I can’t answer how it does for that, I bet it would hold it’s own for sure

It’s like a Ferrari
    Really expensive, not the fast car made, ridiculous to maintain but, I would love to have it in my garage cause it a ferrari

I feel the same way about the Duc, I just saw an 848, what a sexy bitch that thing is..
    Someday if I make millions I will have one in my garage so i can take it our a few times a year but will still ride a 600rr

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

If I had unlimited income i’d have a few ducati’s to blow my brains out from time to time, but i’d hire a mechanic to come over and do monthly maintenance on it. Like I would with a Ferrari or Lambo.

For now, 1000rr is WAY enough.

Profile photo of steria
    steria
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Imo, a 600rr is way enough, but I guess only time will tell.

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Man I hope they don’t ruin my favorite bike. I’m looking to get an 848 or 1098 soon! my uncle says the 1098 is a rocket. but they sure are high maintance. Interesting to see what VW will turn this into.

Profile photo of yellowcbrf4
    yellowcbrf4
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

This is the first I’ve heard about this. I hope vw don’t screw Ducatis up. Personally, I think they are beautiful bikes. I like the look of. The one sided swing arm.

Profile photo of woo545
    woo545
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

…because they were failing to compete with BMW motorcycles before???

Profile photo of pacemaker
    pacemaker
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I seriously doubt that VW is going to interfere with the Ducati formula. Sure there is going to input & maybe some technical input/output, but people buy Dukes for what they are, expensive, temperamental Italian beasties. And that reason alone stopped me from buying one, but I came pretty close. I tried a few on a ride day at the local dealership & just loved the Monster 696, just a hoot to ride around the burbs, handling, brakes & that Ducati exhaust sound.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.