Well finally went down…

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse Well finally went down…

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of anubisphoenix00 anubisphoenix00 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of anubisphoenix00
    anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Hey everyone,
    I haven’t been on here for awhile, life’s been keeping me busy. Anyways like the topic says I went down today, this is my first drop and I got off very lucky. For the last 3 days it’s been raining here and today sun was breaking some of the clouds so I figured I’ll take my CBR out for a short run. I’ve ridden this back country road many times before in a car and bike so I didn’t think much of it since I was just going for a cruise. Half way through my ride I was approaching a sweeping left turn that goes up hill and exit the road levels out. So about half way through this turn I see some gravel and little water on the outside of the turn. Needless to say I target fixated on the gravel and sure enough I was going wide. Last thing I knew I’m in a shallow ditch bike slips on some mud and slides underneath me. I hit the road on my left shoulder and slid on my stomach facing the direction I came from. End result I came out lucky bike is covered in mud and grass on the left side, cracked the lower fairing a little, minor road rash on my right knee and left leg, shoulder is sore right now.

Profile photo of dubv
    dubv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Glad to hear your ok and the bike isn’t too bad.

Profile photo of brakeswhatbrakes
    brakeswhatbrakes
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Yeah damn glad your ok… shake it off, clean yourself off an the bike, an get back out there

Profile photo of yanahmean
    yanahmean
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Sry to here that man .. glad ur ok.. seems to be a lot going down this year.. I think we should all purchase eachother a gremlin bell like @dubv got me after I went down earlier this year.. I guess we all need to be a little more cautious and more on our toes .. get cleaned up and keep on it man

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Ouch. Could have been worse for sure. You’ll be more sore tomorrow! Sorry to hear. Hope you get her put back together

anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Thanks guys!
    @spdygak you’re right it could have been worse so I’ll count my blessing definitely sore on my left shoulder, the most basic motions takes little effort right now. Bike is covered in mud so I got my work count for me to clean her up. Ride safe guys!

Profile photo of crash
    crash
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Glad you’re alright for the most part!

Profile photo of seahorsesylv
    seahorsesylv
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

Glad to hear it wasn’t worse for you. We all go “off” our bikes at some point. Just be glad yours seemed fairly minor. Take care of yourself and you will be back out on 2 wheels in no time.

Profile photo of juliet
    juliet
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

Hey Albert, sorry to hear of your spill but glad that you and the bike came out relatively unscathed … it does happen and hopefully makes us think, be a little more careful and aware and that might save us from the big one. I know, I’ve been riding for 22 years now and never had a crash until 17 years into my riding I rode when not really fit and wrecked my beloved F3. Every piece of plastic was smashed to smitherines and I was badly bruised up on my legs and hips, nothing broken. It really shook me up and it also made me realise I’m not as invincible as I thought I was … it happened in a built up area, my fault, but I still enjoy my bike fully out on the open road. But whenever I’m in built up areas and normal streets I’m slower than I’ve ever been … I drive faster than I ride in town or on normal streets.

You mentioned target fixation and that makes me wonder do you have a thorough ‘handle’ on ‘counter steering’ … that technique is what helps when you ‘target fixate’. We all steer subconsciously but only when you consciously counter steer do you realise how much control you really have over the bike and where you can put it…

Check out this thread…

http://ridecbr.com/topic/how-does-a-motorcycle-really-steer-round-corners/

I’m sorry if you already know all this … it’s just that so many guys don’t and that scares me to death ..lol

Heal well and good luck with fixing her up … stay safe!!

Jules

Profile photo of kewlbreeze
    kewlbreeze
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

If youze gotta go down, one with cosmetic injuries to you and your bike is the way to go. Hope you heal quick. Not going to preach, just remember to scan ahead to where you want to be, not where you’re about to be, and keep head on a swivel to avoid that target fixation. (not the most eloquent sentence I’ve ever concocted but you get the gist :-D )

anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Hey everyone!
    I appreciate the kind words, it’s great to know I’m part of a great community. Anyway I’ve taken my time to clean my motorcycle up between Sunday, yesterday and today after work. After cleaning up the bike, I put back my lower fender I silicone the night before. It’s holding and you can’t tell it’s cracked. I Just went to get gas today and took a short ride to help get my “off” out of my mind. Left shoulder is still a tad sore so making lefts takes little effort but best not to rush things.
    @juliet after reading your post, I couldn’t imagine how rough your incident was and I really should call myself lucky for such a minor fall. I also appreciate your link to your counter-steering post I’m by no means an amazing rider as I have just 3-4 yrs riding. You’re thought is correct after reading your counter-steering post that I don’t have a complete handle on the technique. I’ll definitely will be going back to basics and practice more in an empty parking lot that’s for sure!

photo cbr1.jpg

photo cbr2.jpg

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.