What kind of ear plugs do you use?

RideCBR.com Forums Riding Gear Discussion What kind of ear plugs do you use?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of spdygak spdygak 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of anubisphoenix00
    anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Hey guys,
    I’ve been riding back and forth to work on the freeway with and without ear plugs to determine how much noise my helmet produces. Long story short a HJC FS-15 makes a lot of wind noise and I tend to be a tad deaf after the commute. So I was wondering if anyone had a pair of ear plugs that they used that 1. comfortably sit in your ears for long duration and 2. provided your ear drums with good protection from wind buffering?

Thanks

Profile photo of rome83
    rome83
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Just listen to your Ipod… it makes riding a bike that much funner! I have yet to try this though. I’ve had ppl bring up a valid point that maybe just listen through one ear so you can hear whats going on around you with the other but on the highway you dont hear jacksquat anyway so I say go with the ipod!

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I got mine from the gun section in wallmart. They are just lil orange foamies (winchester brand IIRC). They fit well and work great. I too was going slightly deaf after a short commute untill I started using these. I can still hear traffic and my bike but its like I turned down the volume knob.

Profile photo of inkslingerxx
    inkslingerxx
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Monster’s dre beats lol.
    No but seriously

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I do the same, headphone in one ear, other one open to hear what’s going on.

Profile photo of htown
    htown
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Shure earphones they are really good quality

Profile photo of anubisphoenix00
    anubisphoenix00
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

I’ve done the headphone thing couple times last year and once this past month, I actually feel uncomfortable having the one headphone in my ear I’ve tried couple style buds but still have a some pressure against my ear. I did have a pair of ear plugs that I had lying around it didn’t offer much protection. @ATX600rr I’ll give the ones you mentioned a try and see if I get the results I’m aiming for

Thanks for the input

Profile photo of borderline4laska
    borderline4laska
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

As the safety rep at my work it is my duty to insure there are earplugs at every entrance to our site. Usually a few different kinds. And in our supplly cabinet we have dozens of styles. The “bullet” or “rocket” shaped ones are by far the best in noise reduction. They are somewhat comfortable. They can get annoying from being so far in the ear at times, it is different for everybody though. The foam ones are great, as long as they expand back out after rolling in the fingertips. You can get a good seal with those and theyre very comfortable. You can even get a wax and make a perfect fit for yourself if needed. On the bike I usually where earbuds and jam to music personally. Feel free to email or pm me if you want some more specifics, I can even take pics if it would help. And if you cant locate the bullet/rocket style ones.. let me know and I can mail you a couple pairs to try out. :)

youtube.com/borderlinealaska

Profile photo of minuterice
    minuterice
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

i wear earplugs, because sometimes i dont even like inviting music along for the ride. i use the bullet shaped ones that look like little chess pawns. the flare at the end helps seal em good. 33 db NNR rated. can still hear horns, sirens, etc just fine. the gun section would be a good look too, though i havent spotted ones there higher than 33 db, and sporting stuff tends to be priced a bit higher than your average pharmacy ear plugs are. chaparral motorsports and others sell hearos brand ones, but theyre rated 32 db (higher the number, the more effective they are) so again, it doesnt make sense to pay more for sporting style ones. just check out the local pharmacy. Flents is one good, inexpensive national brand.
    good luck. me wearing ear plugs was the smartest move i ever made on a bike, they really help avoid fatigue on those 50+ mile days

Profile photo of bobby
    bobby
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

Sena smh10 Bluetooth.

Profile photo of spdygak
    spdygak
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I wear the wraparoundtheear buds now that my blue tooth helmet is broken Smiley I can’t let my mind wander. All I think about is work so glad to escape with the music! haha

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.