Whats your profession?

RideCBR.com Forums RideCBR.com Member Clubhouse Whats your profession?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of bambam bambam 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Back in 1993 I started working the hardest job of my life, everything was heavy, dirty and hands on. I worked 7 days a week for $8.69 an hour +$20.00 a day for not getting hurt (minimum wage was $3.35), for the 1st month all I did was sleep as soon as I got home, I found muscles I never knew I had and everyone of them fuckers hurt. I really didnt like my job until I got my first pay check…. I was hooked! Over the next 20 years I have gotten away from using my body muscles and now use my brain. The funny thing they pay you more for your brain then your muscles.

I have worked for many different companies however the same basic work, my job has taken me all over the world USA, Saudi, Russia, Africa, Mexico, Canada, UK, to name a few. Chances are if you have ever been to a fuel station or bought oil I might have had a hand in getting it. Maybe not the finished product, I go for the raw stuff, we find it and let the refineries freshen it up. If you havent guessed by now I work in the oil field. We risk our lives, spend months at a time away from our loved ones, work in extreme heat/cold. We get no holidays unless we are lucky enough to be off during the holiday, work goes 24/7/365. If its your birth day “happy bday mother fucker get your ass back to work” same goes for Xmas, Thanks giving, any holiday, anniversary what ever we are here to work.

I am currently working in Nigeria as a Drilling Superintendent over a 3000 HP swamp barge. The deepest I have ever drilled into mother earth is 24995′ vertical, then we whipped that bitch sideways for another 6800′ when your drill bit gets dull at that depth you know for the next 36 hours you and you work mates will be busting your ass to get it out of the hole changed out and back on bottom making new hole. An average joint of drill pipe is 31′ long, we pull 3 joints at a time creating 1 stand so from over 30,000′ we are breaking it down every 93′ and standing it back. The derrick on my rig can pull 1.5 Million pounds before she will buckle and come down to see me. Well not me anymore but the driller on the rig.

We are normally known as “ROUGHNECKS” not everyone can be a roughneck, I have had guys that can bench 300 lbs come crying to me like a little girl because a guy 1/2 his size can work circles around his ass, so now you know a little bit of what I do tell me a little bit about what you do.

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Forgot to mention my work schedule now is 28 days on 28 days off

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of fishfryer
    fishfryer
    Registered Member
    Training Wheels

I used to be a chemical engineer, I worked on Tomahawk cruise missiles, SMAWs, then the solid rocket boosters for the Space Shuttle. After that I had a computer company and wrote some code, then I just kinda coasted after getting very very lucky in the stock market a few times.

Profile photo of 94f2-08rr
    94f2-08rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Now how in the world am I supposed to follow the two of you with my job?

Profile photo of kpru
    kpru
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Still a student almost finished with my degree, during school I work at a restaurant, and for a development organization. The past 2 summers though they have sent me to work in West Africa, Congo and CAR. @sdm1 You said you work in oil, have you heard of Pointe-Noir, Congo? I’ve loved working in Africa the only downside is it cuts into my riding time lol

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@kpru

Yes I have heard of it your next to Cameroon, we have been trying to get a contract in Cameroon. My days on also eat into my ride time but with 28 days off I get lots of time in the saddle. I sont know what its like in Congo but here in Nigeria I have to have a driver and mobile police, really kinda sucks no freedom of movement.

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of kpru
    kpru
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@sdm1 yeah Pointe-Noir has a large oil industry and lots of expats live there, I’m mostly in Brazzaville. I occasionally use a driver they’re more to minimize harassment from police wanting bribes. I have an apartment in a guarded compound, some areas are worse than others. CAR is completely different it’s been real bad since the coup. Where in Nigeria are you, Lagos?

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@kpru Im in Port Harcourt, its really bad here so much corruption, its not really safe for expats. They give me a house at a place called “INTELS” its an Italian company thats built camps all over here for expatriates, its nice and real beautiful but its like a prison as we can not leave the gates, just to go to the market is a big hassle they do the same here pull you over to bribe for money however our MoPo gets us out of it as they all work for the same people. My contact is almost up I will be going to UAE next. It cant happen soon enough for me.

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of kpru
    kpru
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

@sdm1 the stories I’ve heard of Nigeria haven’t been good so I can imagine but UAE should be nice, I’ve always wanted to visit Dubai

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@kpru Yeah its pretty bad in Nigeria, I have not been to Dubai, but spent 4 days in Abu Dhabi last month, people are friendly prices are kinda of high depending where you are. I look forward to visiting Dubai though would like to take 6 or 7 days just to see all of the sights.

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I am an Ironworker/Crane operator, certified for most types of welding and equipment operation . Ive been hanging Iron for Power parks, marine applications , bridges, towers and everything in between for the last 20 years. For the last few years ive been more of a project manager and problem solver for my company.

@fishfryer said:
    I used to be a chemical engineer, I worked on Tomahawk cruise missiles, SMAWs, then the solid rocket boosters for the Space Shuttle. After that I had a computer company and wrote some code, then I just kinda coasted after getting very very lucky in the stock market a few times.

I freekin knew it!! I just knew you were a rocket scientist, Fish! NASA? cool job brother..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.