When To Repack.

RideCBR.com Forums Aftermarket Part Discussion When To Repack.

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of coltonharris13 coltonharris13 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of bacaboy69
    bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Title explains all lol.

I just need to know when I should repack, how to check if I should repack, how I know it’s time to repack, how to repack, where to get the stuff and the downsides of not repacking.

My bike doesn’t have much low end (basicly cant do a power wheelie and I ha e to clutch it till redline in 2nd just to get a jump) So im guessing its because I need to repack to gain back pressure, and bike is loaping. If I am wrong or you have input then go ahead im all ears.

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Bump…..

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Fine I dont want anyone’s feedback…… :-P

Profile photo of raven
    raven
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Baca, I thought you meant (repack) your saddlebags until I read this. I couldn’t even be informative with that topic, much less so with this one.

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Lol yea if I could change topic I would

Profile photo of hubbard2a
    hubbard2a
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

I doubt that a repac will suddenly have you powering up in second……There is likley another issue at play here like air fuel ratio problems or maybe gearing. But that said lets tackle the repac questions. There is only one way to check your packing, you need to pull the can off the bike and dis assemble it.
    Some are riveted together and some use screws. If its screws then it is simple, take out the screws. If it is riveted then you need to drill out the rivet heads (you will need new rivets and a rivet tool to reassemble it!!)
    Once the screws or rivets are out the muffler should come apart in sections, the slip on or bolt on end cap, the can, and the end cone with the perforated core, and the packing wraped to it.
    Your packing should be wraped firm but just a litle spongy, and should fill the can full. If it seems to loose or thin then you can start fresh by cutting off the old wrap and then wrap on new glass matting material. once it is to your liking you can tye it in place or tape it so that you can slide every thing back together.

You can buy muffler packing from any of the big mail order catologs, and it isnt to expensive. If you feel brave you can even modifey the length of your can. Here is mine………….

It is a Jardine Race baffel slip on(bolt on) them Jardine badge was epoxied on and baddly faded, So I cut the can down to remove it and to give the bike a much deeper and louder tone. believe it or not it is still fairly quiet around town. It is only when you crank down hard on her that the shreik gets loud enough to scare away women and small children!

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Yea I’m guessing its the clutch slipping…. On the other note at least now I have a link to go to when my exhaust needs repacking LOL.

Anyone know how or a have a link for a how to on how to do a clutch change?

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

My bike has the same loping issue at idle. I just repacked my muffler as it was really, really loud and raspy. Its still loud but has less rasp now. The lope got a little better but I’m going to have to raise the idle to get it smooth. I’m probably going to have to set it at around 1400 RPM. I’m going to change my plugs next and see if that helps smooth out the ide. I have already checked my air filter and changed the oil so plugs seem like the next logical step to me. Maybe you bikes needs the same attention as mine?

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Would live to just don’t have money to fix and never done it myself.

Profile photo of atx600rr
    atx600rr
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

I bought the two brothers repack (non statinless steel) kit for $20 and it took about 2 hours including removal and instalation onf the muffler. It was easy and there are how to vids on youtube that you can use. The hardest part was drilling out the rivits but the kit included a drill bit too.

bacaboy69
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Regular

Naw I’m talking about the plugs.

Profile photo of coltonharris13
    coltonharris13
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Newbie

What kind of exhaust? I have a Yoshi on mine and they recommend repacking like every 7-10000 miles.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.