WTFunk smell

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of admin admin 2 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Everyone knows after riding in hot weather your gear starts to get that FUNK smell, I take my leather suit to a close by dry cleaning place and they usually do a good job of getting the funk smell out of my leathers, the bad thing it take them a week usually before I get them back. My helmet lining I just wash in the machine and let it dry outside over night, if its not fully dry by morning I throw it in the dryer for a bit and all good. When I was at work my wife washed my leather gloves in the washing machine and FAKED them all up so now I am looking into alternative let me not say cleaning, but rather drying them boots also as they are hard to clean inside. A friend pointed me in the direction of a boot and glove dryer has anyone else tried these out? They arent really pricey so I am not worried about cost, just curious what others do to keep the FUNK smell out of your riding gear?

Boot glove dryer

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of bambam
    bambam
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

When things get too funky Ray, i use Fabreeze , not a cure but a good mask. Ive used it in helmets and textile riding jackets. I dont know if it would mess up leather tho. As for the boots , i dig good ole’ Gold Bond powder , both before and after, seems to work good.

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Helmet lining just goes in the wash.. jacket gets cleaned professionally every 2-3 years. That’s about it. I’m far too fat for leathers. Ain’t nobody wanna see me in leathers.

Profile photo of pacemaker
    pacemaker
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Addict

I do clean the liner in my helmet every now & then. But what you need to do is put your gear in fresh air & sunlight. The smell is caused by little mirco organisms that love to breed, die & rot in leather/textile gear (especially boots) that’s hung up & put away in nice dark places. Leather boots are problematic because they retain moisture (think toe jam) & are permantely dark. With these you need to get some of those charcoal inserts. Dry cleaning will shorten the life of your gear.
    Besides, aren’t us dirty scumbag bikies spposed to stink anyway.

Profile photo of sdm1
    sdm1
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

Thanks for the input guys.

@bambam
    I have tried febreeze, but even after a while that FUNK smell comes back, thats why I dry clean my leathers. Do to my work I only get to ride 5 months out of the year, but I dry clean my leather suit every other month. Cant stand the smell of myself I guess lol. I tried powder in my work boots and it worked at first then after a while the powder started to smell also.

@admin
    Leathers will save that skin, dont get me wrong i dont wear my leathers all the time only when I know I am going to ride aggressive or going to the track as they are mandatory to be able to ride it. You can have leathers custom made for your size. I had a friend from Texas that did that. He was 6’8″ 345 lbs. Really big fella. They cost him a little more but always worth saving your skin.

@pacemaker
    My wife does that for me after I ride, we turn them inside out and leave them out for the rest of the day and over night if its not going to rain. It does help a lot. My boots set outside also to help dry them.

My friend just told me he has an older drier that he will sell me for 100 pesos, about $2.50 so ill try it for a few months if it works good I will buy a new one.

2014 CB1000R
    *2012 CBR250R
    *2005 CBR1000RR - SOLD

Profile photo of admin
    admin
    Registered Member
    RideCBR Guru

@sdm1 I’m not that big.. but still not a pleasant sight in leathers. No matter how custom. I’m sure i’ll get some when I do more track riding in the future but for now.. no way. I wear a full jacket 90% of the time and thick jeans and my helmet. Easy maintenance for my gear :-)

And I laughed at your sig after I thought to myself.. damn.. I forgot he sold the ’05 1000rr! Then I saw this: 2014 CB1000R – *2012 CBR250R and think you’ll be just fine. I love your CB1000R which is rare because I only love my bike.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.